Saturday, July 24, 2010

Coconut Avocado Lime Ice Cream




Creamy, silky, dreamy...that is what would describe my latest experiment in ice cream, Coconut Avocado Lime.  Even better?  It is non-dairy!  It is not hard to figure out why though when you combine the silky rice avocado with creamy sweet coconut milk it would create such a heavenly end product!  I was skeptical about this ice cream when I started making it, wondering how the avocado would freeze, and if it would give the frozen treat an off flavor, but it did neither of the two!  The avocado flavor is barely detectable, what shines through is the coconut and vanilla that I added to the base as well as a hint of lime, but not overpowering.  I chose to sweeten this ice cream with agave, because it is rather neutral, as well as kind to the blood sugar, and does a wonderful job of sweetening.  If you want a delicious frozen ice cream treat you can feel good about eating, whip up a batch of this! 

Coconut Avocado Lime Ice Cream

2 3/4 cups organic full fat coconut milk
3/4 cup agave nectar
juice and zest of two limes
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
seeds of one vanilla bean
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 large ripe avocados, diced

Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). When ice cream is done freezing, place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results. Makes about 4 cups of delicious ice cream!

9 comments:

  1. I just love the color! The fat from the avocado works so well in ice cream... this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting combination--Ive seen avocado sweets but never with lime and coconut. Very innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting and so unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great idea! I love all three ingredients in this ice cream. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! One of my fave summer frozen treats: Red Wine-Raspberry Sorbet. I wrote about it on my blog at http://recipes-that-worked.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-made-raspberry-sorbet-kind-you-find.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my that looks fantastic! I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything with coconut!

    ReplyDelete