Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fresh Mint Vanilla Bean Ice Cream



I always loved peppermint bon-bon ice cream as a child...I think it was the mint flavor mostly, so fresh, and that lovely green color caught my eye of course!  But now that I have different tastes, and I no longer eat things that are artificially green colored...I haven't had any in quite a while.  So yesterday when I decided that I wanted to make fresh mint ice cream, I wondered how many of those good childhood memories of the lovely green ice cream would resurface.  I don't use chocolate in many things lately, because I have found that I am allergic to it recently...so I decided to leave the chocolate out this time.  I figured the mint on it's own would be just as good, and I wanted this to be a showcase of the fresh herb with no candy interference.  I did however include vanilla beans, because I enjoy mint and vanilla together, it is so wonderfully refreshing!  I used coconut milk instead of cream in my base because I actually prefer it to it's dairy counterpart in frozen desserts.  This ice cream was very simple to make, just throw all the ingredients in a blender whiz up and freeze!  It is wonderfully refreshing and delicious!  So much better than the peppermint ice cream I remember as a child!  The real mint is so fresh, and bright, and the mellow vanilla gives it that something special...you can't just eat one bowl of this!  It is wonderful after dinner when you want to cleanse your pallate!  Try this out when you would like a cooling and refreshing ice cream this summer...this one is the freshest flavored I have had!


Fresh Mint Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
3/4 cup agave nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp mint extract
1/2 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended and mint is very finely chopped. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results. Makes about 4 cups of delicious ice cream!

5 comments:

  1. I would really love this. Vanilla and mint are such a great flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make the best looking ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WONDERFUL! I just purchased an ice cream maker and want to try out the coconut milk versions of the ideas rolling in my head. Peppermint ice cream is my absolute favorite flavor, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete