Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sesame Almond Honey Ice Cream





I had made an honey almond sesame mix to snack on, since I love salty sweet nuts, especially when made with honey.  I sometimes use nuts like this in a salad as a nice addition, but I was thinking they would be heavenly in an ice cream!  I know, almond and sesame seeds might sound like an unusual combo, but it is quite delicious!  I thought I could use the honey nuts and seeds the way buttered pecans are used in butter brickle...nice little islands of sweet and salty crunch in my ice cream...but I wouldn't stop there with the flavors!  I decided that the ice cream base would need to be sesame almond as well.  So I added tahini, for the sesame seed element,  because of it's flavor, and because nut butters make wonderfully silky ice cream.  I also added almond extract in addition to the standard vanilla to give it that extra vanilla flavor note.  I used coconut milk, for my base, because I prefer it to cream, but if you wanted to make this with dairy, you could use 2 cups heavy cream and one cup milk to substitute for the coconut.  But I find the coconut milk wonderfully sweet and silky.  When all was churned and frozen and it was time to taste the ice cream, I didn't just have a taste...well I had one, but then I had to have a large bowl...this is not something you can just have a sample of!  It was like a slightly exotic butter brickle but way better!  The almond tahini base was silky and wonderfully nutty...and the sweet and salty honey nuts and seeds were fabulous!  Like little surprises that you bit into!  Talk about a party in my mouth! 

Sesame Almond Honey Ice Cream

Nuts:
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
honey sesame seeds and almonds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
3 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp maple sugar
1 tsp sea salt

Ice Cream Base:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1/2 cup tahini
3/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp almond extract
1/2 tsp sea salt

To make honey almonds and sesame seeds, heat oven to 375, line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick spray. Toss nuts and seeds with honey, sugar, and sea salt and mix until well combined. Spread out on prepared sheet, and bake for 10-15 minutes until seeds are fragrant and toasted. Remove pan from oven and let cool completley.  You  will only need some of these for the ice cream recipe, so you can snack on the rest!

To make base, combine all ingredients except nut mix in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). With a spoon, mix in about a third to a half of the honey nut and seed mix depending on how many chunks you like in your ice cream. Pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results. Makes about 4 cups of delicious ice cream!

4 comments:

  1. That looks beautiful and super tasty! what a great use for your sesame mix. Did you achieve the butter brickle flavor?

    thanks for sharing, now you've got me craving ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful recipe!! We recently tried coconut milk for our non-dairy ice cream and really liked it. I couldn't remember where I saw someone using coconut milk as a base, but maybe it was from you! In any case, this looks so good... we are eager to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I love coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That a nice recipe for a dairy free ice cream

    ReplyDelete