Saturday, October 9, 2010

Good Earth Tea Infused Ice Cream


I am obsessed with Original Good Earth Tea!  I drink at least 3 cups of it a day...it brings some enjoyment to my work day, and calms me at night.  I call it the non-tea drinker's tea, because anyone who has told me they don't like tea I have suggested it to and they loved it.  Dessert in a tea, it has a wonderful sweet cinnamon aroma and flavor that fills your nose as you drink it and a heavenly sweet flavor.  In the summer I make Arnie Palmers with it (tea and lemon juice) and they need no sweetener since the tea sweetens itself! 

So when I was racking my brain trying to think of what type of ice cream I would like to make since the temperatures have soared high above normal this week in Minnesota it popped into my head to infuse the cool dessert with the tea!  Why not?  Other people use chai... I ended up using 5 tea bags to infuse the ice cream.  I used a coconut milk non-dairy ice cream base, and flavored it with nothing but the tea and a hint of vanilla.  I didn't know if it would have enough flavor, but when I tasted the base it was perfect!  It didn't need as much sweetening as some other ice creams I have made since the tea was so sweet.  It was almost like a cinnamon ice cream, but way better...like having my Good Earth Tea and ice cream together!  It has got to be one of my favorite simple ice creams that I make!  It is fabulous on its own, but I enjoyed some with apple crisp and it was delicious!  Try some for yourself, especially if you are a fan of Good Earth Tea!


Good Earth Tea Infused Ice Cream
Makes about 4 cups of  ice cream

1 cup full fat coconut milk at room temperature
5 Good Earth Tea bags, regular or decaf
2 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt

To make base, heat 1 cup coconut milk to boiling and add tea bags.  Let steep a few hours, then squeeze the bags into the milk to get all the liquid out.  Discard bags, and chill milk until very cold.  Combine all ingredients including infused milk in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

7 comments:

  1. Impressive! Beautiful composition. I'm a tea lover myself and will have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful idea to infuse ice cream with this tea! I haven't had it for years, but it was the first tea I ever drank (I think I was right out of high school) regularly. makes me want some now. I love the cinnamon flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to get an ice cream maker! Good Earth tea is my favorite too, though I haven't been drinking as much of it lately. This recipe sounds absolutely fantastic -- I love the use of coconut milk too. Count me in as your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks incredible -- what a great idea! Friends just "re-introduced" me to this tea (it smells familiar, pretty sure my mom drank it when I was little), and I love it. Can't wait to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Gracious. Could you send some of that to TN. That sounds like heaven in a bowl!

    ReplyDelete