Monday, October 4, 2010

Kabocha Squash Ice Cream with Spiced Pepitas



It would be tough to pick my favorite vegetable...but if I think if I had to it would be Kabocha squash.  It is sooo good, so sweet and buttery I could eat it plain by itself right out of the oven roasted.  And I do.  I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert!  Or at least make dishes out of it for each of those.  Dessert is one of my favorite ways in which to use it. Some of you may be thinking Squash?  For dessert?  But yes, it is actually sweeter than pumpkin, and I prefer it over pumpkin when making desserts.  It is wonderful in pies and custards! 


This is why I thought I should make it into an ice cream.  Sort of like a spiced pumpkin pie ice cream, but a different sort of squash.  I used a coconut milk base, sweetened with agave nectar with a dash of bourbon and some wonderful spices added.  Cinnamon of course was a must, but I also used cardamom and nutmeg because I love the combination of the three together especially with squash.  I added some vanilla and maple extracts as well to make it even tastier!  The ice cream itself was wonderful...so creamy like a frozen pumpkin pie (squash pie) that melted slowly on the tongue and left with a subtle hint of spice and vanilla.  I decided to make some spiced pepitas to go along with the ice cream, because I thought something a little crunchy would be nice on top...and it was!  The salty spicy crunchy seeds played nicely off the creamy silky smooth ice cream.  Make some of this fallish delight for yourself if you have an ice cream maker...maybe you too will decide you like kabocha squash better than pumpkin! 


Spiced Kabocha Squash Ice Cream with Spiced Pepitas
Makes about 4 cups of delicious ice cream

Ice Cream Base:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1 cup kabocha squash puree
3/4 cup  plus 2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp bourbon
1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt

Nuts:

1 cup pepitas
1 Tbsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp maple sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
To make base, combine all ingredients except pepitas in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.  

To make spiced pepitas, heat oven to 375, line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick spray. Toss seeds with agave nectar, sugar, spices, and sea salt and mix until well combined. Spread out on prepared sheet, and bake for 10-15 minutes until seeds are fragrant and toasted. Remove pan from oven and let cool completley. Serve with the ice cream as a nice crispy topping.  You will only need some of these for the ice cream, so you can snack on the rest!

7 comments:

  1. WOW! This looks so interesting! I have never heard of it yet it is so enticing. Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kabocha squash too! I made a pie with some last fall, and it was great. I recently saw some blue kabocha (an heirloom variety I think?) at my local food co-op. It would be fun to make ice cream with those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue Kabocha are even sweeter! You should definately try using them if you can find some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This recipe is leaving me speechless and wishing I had my ice cream maker right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you get a creamy ice creamy texture without an ice cream maker? The last time i made a vegan strawberry icecream, it was more a sorbet than an ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be tough! I have always used an ice cream maker for best results. I picked one up for less than $50 and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS INSANE!!
    you are my hero <3

    ReplyDelete