Saturday, October 23, 2010

Roasted Pear Cardamom Vanilla Ice Cream





Pears are heavenly this time of year...I had made a pear crisp last weekend, and enjoyed it so much that I decided I needed to make more!  I always serve my crisp with some sort of ice cream, because I love the hot on the cold, and the creamy against the crunchy and jammy.  So I thought what better to make to go with my crisp than some ice cream made with the beautiful pears? 

Now, I didn't just want to puree them and throw them in there...although they were nice and ripe, I knew if I roasted them, it would bring out the sweet flavor as well as intensify the essence of pear in the ice cream...since this wasn't a sorbet made with only pears and I wanted them very present.  I decided to add cardamom and vanilla to my ice cream as well, because I love those two flavors with pears, and I can almost never resist putting vanilla in ice cream.  My only concern with this ice cream is that it would freeze too hard, and to prevent that I added a small amount of bourbon to the base.  When the ice cream was all finished churning and had ripened I had to have a try...just by itself, before I put it on my crisp.  It was so delicately flavored!  Light and refreshing on the tongue with the essence of pear, slightly carmelized flavor from the roasting, and the light vanilla and cardamom notes...heavenly!  It made my crisp more heavenly as well, double pear, can't go wrong with that! 

Roasted Pear Cardamom Vanilla Ice Cream
Makes about 6 cups of ice cream

4 medium pears, diced
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
2 tsp bourbon
2 tsp ground cardamom
seeds of one vanilla bean
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt

To roast pears, preheat oven to 475 and line baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.  Spread out pears on sheet, and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.  Let pears cool, then puree to a smooth consistency.  Chill pears until very cold.  To make base, combine all ingredients including pears in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! This recipe sounds so flavorful and complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never fail to come up with some of the most beautiful, simple recipes. This sounds so heavenly...I can imagine letting the first bite melt on my tongue. I love the flavors of pear and cardamom, so I know that this would be a real hit at my house. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cardamom. This sounds like the ultimate ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cold/hot combination too! You are a genius, I never would have thought to roast the pears first! I will have to remember that tip. A delicious flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm... yummy! It looks very tasty! excellent job! :D

    ReplyDelete