Sunday, November 28, 2010

Banana Bread Cookies



When I was little I loved going to both my Grandma's houses they both always had delicious things for me to snack on while I was over.  Kitty Grandma, my Mom's Mother called so because she had kitties, liked to make a wonderful banana nut bread.  It was her Mother's recipe, and it was wonderfully sweet and studded with crunchy walnuts, needing no adornment.  The recipe was passed down to my Mom who swears it is the best banana bread she has ever eaten. Later on my Mom added her own spin to the bread, which became the standard at my house, chocolate chips. My Dad's Mom, Grandma Lyons always made the best chocolate chip cookies!  She would sit and roll out the balls of dough with her hair in curlers and I would help.  We would bake them together and I always enjoyed snatching them right out of the oven while they were still warm and gooey!  When I make either banana bread or chocolate chip cookies, and I smell the wonderful aromas that they fill the kitchen with, I can't help but think of my Grandmas and the memories I created with them.  I had some over ripe bananas, and some chocolate chips, and yesterday I decided that I would make a dessert combining these favorite two sweet things I snacked on as a child at my grandmas houses!  Banana bread cookies!  What could be better than a creation combining the banana flavor and walnuts and mild spices in banana bread and the chocolate chips, caramelly flavor and crunchy chewy texture of a chocolate chip cookie! 

So I got to work and came up with a vegan banana bread cookie.  I started with a cookie base using a combination of coconut oil and earth balance for my fats because I think they give the best flavor, and maple sugar and agave nectar for the sweeteners.  I used whole wheat pastry flour laced with a little cinnamon and nutmeg, which was always included in the banana bread, and plenty of vanilla extract!  I added the mashed banana of course, because it wouldn't be banana bread without it, but I also added a tiny bit of banana extract to allow the banana flavor to shine through.  Toasted walnuts and of course chocolate chips were a must, as they were always standard in both the banana bread and the chocolate chip cookies!  I had no doubt these would be delicious as I was snacking on the spoonfuls of dough while forming the cookies!  Those that did make it into the oven to be baked gave off the wonderful aroma of banana bread as well as the scent of chocolate chips in the cookies!  I had to try one while they were barely cool enough to eat and it was amazing!  Nothing like a gooey chocolate chip cookie warm from the oven!  It reminded me of when I used to steal the cooling cookies from the pans at Grandmas...and these were just as tasty!  You would not be able to tell that there was no eggs or dairy in them!  They were easy to make, so you should try them as well if you have a little time to let the dough chill. Take a little time to warm up your kitchen and create a memory of your own!


Vegan Banana Bread Cookies
makes 1 1/2 dozen

Cookies:
1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan buttery spread at room temperature
2 medium well mashed very ripe organic bananas
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp banana extract
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp cassia cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 12 oz bag vegan chocolate chips
2 cups toasted walnuts, chopped


In a large bowl, combine buttery spread and coconut oil with sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the bananas, vanilla extract, banana extract and agave nectar until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined. Mix in the chocolate, walnuts, and place in the fridge to chill until firm. To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 2 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 15 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.

25 comments:

  1. YUM! :D This sounds soooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, these are great! Love love love banana bread, so the cookies must be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE banana bread, so I can only imagine how delcious these must be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, they look so crispy on the oustide and chewy and moist on the inside! lovely banana bread cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These must be delicious!

    I never add chocolate chips to my banana bread (probably because my mother never added them when I was younger) so I see this as a mix of banana bread & chocolate chip cookies :). Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy cookies...

    http://cookingbachelors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Banana bread cookies sound divine. I love how you updated them and made them healthy, too. Any way that I can use whole wheat flour and call it dessert is good in my book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never image that banana could be this crispy cookies.. thx for sharing ur precious recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these look good. A banana bread cookie....fabulous concept!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tribute to both your grandmothers :) These look awesome, and I completely agree that banana bread with chocolate chips is an excellent idea, even better in cookie form!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These looks so yummy!! Love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love recipes that come from a meaningful memory of family tradition? I know that the recipes I create that have been inspired by my family mean the very most to me! These cookies look and sound amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You created a monster now!!! I don't have choose anymore between my favorite late morning treats! :)

    Great recipe and great story! Grandmas are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great and they are vegan...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! I am almost speechless! I love grandmas, chocolate chip cookies and of course, banana bread. I imagine these would truly taste amazing. The lovely bonus is that they're egg-free, and they come with beautiful memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those cookies look fantastic and sooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a cookie swap in January and I am flagging this recipe for them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way of combining your two grandmas' best recipes! What a delicious combo it is, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you think these would taste okay with hazelnuts instead of walnuts? Our house has seemingly run out of walnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course! Or even pecans or macadamias would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just cut this recipe in half and made it into a loaf! Absolutely delicious! Also made a few substitutions. No oil, extra banana and raw sliced almonds instead of walnuts. Just what I had on hand and it worked out great. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you made it work for you :)!

      Delete
  22. Just made them, the recipe made a lot more than 1 and 1/2 dozen for me! I used spelt flour instead of wheat, and coconut sugar instead of reg. sugar. Also only used about 1/2 cup choc. chips, no walnuts. Turned out really sweet, but yummy and fluffy with a cake-like texture. Thank you for the recipe! Will be making again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them with your modifications :)!

      Delete