Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Honeycrisp Apple Ravioli with Pecan Date Filling and Maple Caramel


 Ravioli has been on my mind lately.  I wanted to make some last weekend but ran out of time...since it is rather time consuming, making the dough and digging out the pasta machine and all.  I guess I was kind of bummed that the ravioli making didn't happen, and since I didn't get my ravioli fix in a savory way while I was daydreaming during my run this morning I came up with a sweet way I could get it!  I often eat honeycrisp apples for dessert, and so I was thinking I could slice one really thin and assemble the thin slices like ravioli!  Much more exciting than simply biting into an apple!


 I wanted the filling to contain some sort of nut, and I thought what better to use in the fall then pecans!  I sweetened them up with some dates, since I consider them like candy, as well as a dash of maple syrup and vanilla.  The gooey filling was divine, especially when enclosed in the tart crunchy apples.  But it needed a sauce and some other components as well, since ravioli isn't so pretty when not accompanied by some sort of sauce or adornment.  I had some leftover caramel in my fridge from the weekend as well as some spiced pecans, and they went perfectly with the ravioli to complete the dish!  It was beautiful, and delicious!  I still might have to make savory ravioli one of these upcoming weekends if I have time, but I was glad I made some sweet ones in the meantime!


Honeycrisp Apple Ravioli with Pecan Date Filling and Maple Caramel
Serves 4

Caramel:
1/2 cup maple sugar

2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp light agave nectar
2 Tbsp coconut milk (not lite coconut milk)
1 1/2 tsp Earth balance butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
Filling:
1/2 cup pecans, toasted
3 large medjool dates, pitted
2 tsp maple syrup
a large pinch of sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Spiced Pecans:
1/2 cup pecans
2 tsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp maple sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground chipotle
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

32 very thin apple slices from medium sized tart sweet apples (sliced vertically, so you have circles)

To make caramel, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the sugar, agave nectar and water to a boil, stirring well at first to dissolve the sugar. Turn down the heat to low and cook until the liquid is deep amber in color, about 15-20 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally to ensure even cooking. Remove the pan from heat. Very carefully (the mixture will bubble), stir in the coconut milk, earth balance butter vanilla, maple extract, and sea salt until smooth. Let cool before using.
To make filling, combine all ingredients in the food processor until smooth, and set aside. 
To make spiced nuts, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.  Toss nuts with maple syrup, maple sugar, spices, and sea salt, and spread out on sheet.  Roast until fragrant and toasted about 7-10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool. 
To assemble, spread out half the apple slices on a work surface.  Spoon a heaping tsp filling onto each, and top with another apple slice and press down around edges of apple slices to form "ravioli".  Repeat until you have 16.  To plate, place 4 raviolis on a plate and drizzle with caramel. Top each with spiced nuts, and serve!

22 comments:

  1. How creative! It looks delicious to boot! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a sweet ravioli before...looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound fantastic (and look amazing). I'm thinking I could serve them for dinner and dessert the same night and not have to cook twice! :) Thanks for sharing - you have wonderful recipies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The combination of flavors in these raviolis sound delicious. I love how the apples are cut into circles to make the the ravioli shape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have never thought to do this, but it really is brilliant! I adore all things apple, and I am always in the mood for stuffed pasta! Thank you for sharing this creative and beautiful recipe. Have a beautiful Wednesday full of laughter and love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative. I didn't even realize these were apple slices until I read the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so amazing!! What delicious flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks creat.. so creative.. when i read ravioli, i d never think that sweet...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    wow...That looks amazing..am spell bound...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm it's possible this one should be against the law. ;) Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea!! You are so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These treats sounds so intriguing! I bet there were delish...the filling sounds mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat idea to make a ravioli with thin apple slices! I like your choice of filling too with pecans and dates. Very unique and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice choice of ingredients, great ravioli idea, thanks for the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are beautiful! I love the idea of using apples as the exterior :) So creative and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When you set to making ravioli, you really make ravioli! What a wonderful dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How creative! I bet it was absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a unique creation! The ravioli look and sound absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete