Monday, November 8, 2010

Persimmon Orange Flower Water Ice Cream with Pistachio Caramel


It is fuyu persimmon season once again, and I was very happy to get my hands on some!  The lovely tomato like bright orange fruits have such a delicate marshmallow like flavor, I love to simply slice one up and eat it plain.  But I thought they would be wonderful in ice cream!  I thought they would be especially good added to a coconut milk base laced with vanilla and orange flower water, since these are all very delicate flavors. So I got to work and made some! 


The ice cream had a beautiful light orange color, and what was even more beautiful was the flavor!  It tasted like marshmallows with a floral vanilla undertone, and was sweet but not overly so.  It was delicious on its own, but I decided that I wanted to make a pistachio caramel to compliment it.  I thought that the salty flavor of the pistachios would compliment the sweet caramel and ice cream well, as well as be beautiful with the green against the orange.  It was  a nice autumn dessert, and I was glad I tried doing something with the persimmons besides just eating them! 


Persimmon Orange flower water Ice Cream with Pistachio Caramel
Makes about 4 cups of delicious ice cream

Persimmon Ice Cream Base:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
2 ripe organic fuyu persimmons, diced
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp orange flower water
1 Tbsp bourbon

To make base, combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

Pistachio Caramel:

2 cups organic white granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup light agave nectar
1/2 cup coconut milk (not lite coconut milk)
2 T. Earth balance butter
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp sea salt
2 cups pistachios, toasted and salted

To make caramel, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the sugar, agave nectar and water to a boil, stirring well at first to dissolve the sugar. Turn down the heat to low and cook until the liquid is deep amber in color, about 15-20 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally to ensure even cooking. Remove the pan from heat. Very carefully (the mixture will bubble), stir in the coconut milk, earth balance butter vanilla, maple extract, and sea salt until smooth. Let cool before using.  Stir in pistacnios and serve with ice cream!

10 comments:

  1. How delicious! I'll have to remember all these ice cream recipes when I'm home over the winter and have my ice cream machine to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW! Amy, this ice cream looks wonderful. I so love that you use coconut milk instead of cow's milk or soy milk -- and I've just learned that I can get an ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid. I may just be in business to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This ice cream looks so beautiful! I've never tried a persimmon before, but I'm very intrigued! Who knew that a fruit could taste like marshmallows? Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I have been wondering what to do with persimmmons... and I have also been wanting to make vegan ice cream!!

    I am so glad I came across your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This ice cream looks amazing! I've never cooked/baked with persimmons before, so will definitely have to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my....those flavors look dreamy. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think persimmons are underrated! This sounds like a good way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. delightful! i love that pista sauce recipe too. we could possibly use mango instead of persimmons right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I wrote to you via Faqcebook and I haven't heard back so I thought you would get an email if I sent it from your Blog. I am a Culinary Consultant and Food Stylist and I am working with a client who needs a photo of persimmon ice cream. I'd do it myself, but persimmons aren't in season yet. I was wondering if I might have your permission to use your photo? I am happy to credit you with the photo. Let me know if that would be okay with you.
    Many thanks,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete