Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Vanilla Pecan Bourbon Balls


My Mom, who is one of my most important dessert testers has been asking me to make her some bourbon balls for a while now, and I finally decided to give in.  Mind you I have never made them before, only heard about them so I wasn't quite sure what all other people put in them, and didn't bother to look.  I just decided to sort of wing it and put into them what I thought would be good, and this is what ended up being included...some vegan pecan cookies I had made, some toasted pecans, maple syrup, a healthy dose of bourbon of course...and of course vanilla and maple extracts for good measure! 


Now, after actually looking at some recipes I realized that most other people include cocoa powder or chocolate somewhere in the filling, but who cares...they ended up being delicious without it.  I did however coat them in white and dark chocolate, so they looked like little truffles, and sprinkled them with pecans.  I thought they were fabulous...sweet little liquor bombs with a nutty maple vanilla flavor! 



But would my Mom like them?  That was the question.  But not to worry, she loved them!  If you would like to try a little different version of a bourbon ball, here is my recipe:

Vanilla Pecan Bourbon Balls
Makes about 2 dozen

1 1/2 cups vegan pecan sandies or sugar cookie crumbs
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp maple syrup or more if needed
2 Tbsp bourbon
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp maple extract

8 oz vegan white chocolate
8 oz vegan dark bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

In a food processor, combine cookie crumbs, pecans, vanilla and maple extracts, bourbon, and 1 Tbsp maple syrup, and process until well blended, and starting to come together like a dough (if not sticky enough add a little more maple syrup).  Roll mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls, and place on a foil lined baking sheet.  Place in the freezer until chilled and firm, about 1/2 hour.  Melt white chocolate and dark chocolate in 2 separate bowls in the microwave using 30 second intervals, stirring in between.  When chocolate is melted, dip half bourbon balls into the white chocolate, coating entire outer surface, and placing on a foil lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with chopped pecans.  Repeat with dark chocolate.  Place sheet in the fridge for a little while to set chocolate. 

18 comments:

  1. They look amazing! Photos are fantastic as well..I just want to take one or two(or more) from that plate!:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good recipe and bourbon amount is not the type that would cause a DUI offense :) Good recipe to try for Christmas dessert platter! Something different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I would have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good. I had bourbon balls years ago and didn't like them, back then I didn't appreciate the bourbon flavors. I'm sure if I gave them another try it would be a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, they look so yummy. and definitely, you got plus points for the bourbon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for chocolate recipes to gift people this holiday, and I'm thinking these might be one of them :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...these look so good! I lived in Kentucky for 20 years..boubon balls are like the official state food! Pretty photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried making bourbon balls, but these look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh lordy!! I wish I had one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious, they looks so scrumptious!.. Thank you very much for sharing, and you mum for requesting you to make them!.. XD Luna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had bourbon balls, just rum balls. I think these look fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look wonderful! I don't doubt for a second that your mum loved them. Who wouldn't???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried bourbon balls either! I'm excited to give this a try over the holiday season because they look great! Thank you for sharing a mom-approved recipe with me. Have a great afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! And I love that they are vegan AND inspired by Southern flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look awesome!
    The maple is interesting--something I had never thought to try before, but sounds great! I make bourbon balls for christmas every year, and this gives me new flavors to think about.

    ReplyDelete