Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bourbon Cherry Walnut Ice Cream


 Ice cream in the winter may sound a little crazy, especially in Minnesota.  But not when you think about enjoying it over a nice warm piece of pie or crisp, or maybe a warm brownie!  As far as I am concerned though, it has no season, and I always have to have some on hand, especially for accompanying warm dessert.  I was going to make some this weekend, but I grow tired of the same flavors, so I wanted to make something a little different.  Dried fruit is good in the winter, and nuts, so I was thinking somewhere along the lines of rum raisin.  But not quite, since I have no rum.  But I did have dried cherries and bourbon, so I thought, why not soak the cherries in bourbon and pair them with toasted walnuts!  I made a maple base for the ice cream, and it went wonderfully with the tart sweet boozy cherries and almost butter brickle like walnuts.  When I tasted some of this, I decided I needed no warm dessert to serve it with.  It was fabulous on its own and deserved to be the star.  So for all of you who are crazy enough to make ice cream in the winter here you go...and don't wait until summer to make this!


Bourbon Cherry Walnut Ice Cream
Makes 5+ cups ice cream

1 cup organic dried cherries
bourbon

3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
1 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup toasted walnuts, broken into pieces

Cover cherries with just enough bourbon to cover, and let sit overnight.  Drain cherries well and set aside (reserve bourbon for another use).  Combine coconut milk and all ingredients except cherries and walnuts in a food processor, and process until well blended. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Stir cherries and walnuts into the ice cream, pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results. Makes about 4 cups of delicious ice cream!

10 comments:

  1. Your walnut ice looks freaking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really tempting!!! Great ice cream taste I bet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, your ice cream looks incredibly delicious! Dried cherries and walnuts...mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! My favorite ice cream is maple walnut, which is REALLY hard to find outside of New England ... this made me think of that ice cream, along with some childhood memories associated with eating too much of it :) Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds HEAVENLY. I know what I'm making when there's room in our freezer for more food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, this looks delicious! i strangely crave ice cream more in the winter, so i could go for a big bowl of this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Looks divine! Makes me wish I had an ice cream maker! Maybe going on my wishlist for my next birthday? If I can do a dairy free ice cream, I'm all over that! Coconut Bliss is expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's never a bad time for ice cream. ;) Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This ice cream looks amazing! Just reading you talk about eating ice cream over a warm brownie or piece of pie is making me very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made this tonight, using my ice cream maker for the first time! I didn't have any maple extract but I did use maple syrup as a sweetener, and the bing cherries I bought turned out to be sweetened with HFCS and they were so gross, I soaked some dried cranberries in bourbon instead. The ice cream alone was delicious and didn't even need anything added to it, but the addition of the cranberries and toasted walnuts made it absolute heaven. I can't believe I've never made homemade Ice Cream before, but I will definitely be making it again. Thanks for the fabulous vegan recipe!

    ReplyDelete