Saturday, December 11, 2010

Minty Melting Moments


When discussing which type of cookies I should make this year for Christmas, my Mom suggested melting moments.  She told me I had to make them.  She said they were so good and so melt in your mouth with the cornstarch and powdered sugar along with their subtle sweetness!  Of course she suggested them, I remember when I was about 5 she bought a cookie press to make a cute design in the top of cookies like melting moments, and that press came with a recipe for them.  She made them for years after that, and they became one of her favorite Christmas cookies.  In my mind, they were good, but never really stood out.  But I thought, what the heck, I can make them this year anyhow, and put my own spin on them.  I searched forever for the recipe she used to use but came up empty.  I found another one in a magazine, but wasn't quite happy with it so I tweaked it a little to my liking (since I never leave recipes alone).  When my Mom made melting moments, she did not make sandwich cookies, but I have seen that some people do.  I wanted to do this with mine this time. 


I decided that I wanted a vanilla mint cookie with a mint fudge filling...Christmassy all the way, but non-traditional.  I am never traditional when it comes to recipes.  I wanted to tint the dough a lovely light green to hint at the presence of the mint...and it was a beautiful hue! 


I thought it would be even more beautiful if I rolled the cookies in this light green finishing sugar I had in my cupboard, but it was nowhere to be found.  I must have used it in another recipe a while back, so I used plain sparkling white sugar instead.  I feel that every cookie tray at Christmas should have some sparkle.  The melting moments sans the filling were delicious.  The light mint and vanilla flavor married well with the light cookie.  But the finished cookies with the fudge were amazing!  The fudge was a simple mixture of agave nectar and cocoa powder enhanced with vanilla and mint.  So simple but so decadent tasting and perfect for the inside of my cookies. 


They were scrumptious, and I ate way too many.  But you are allowed extra cookie tasting around the Holidays. Now I know why they are called melting moments.  It takes only a moment to devour them.  Here is my recipe so you can bake up a batch if you wish!


Minty Melting Moments
Makes 16 sandwich cookies

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup (12 Tbsp) Earth Balance vegan butter
about 6 drops natural green food coloring (plant based)

3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp peppermint extract
granulated sugar for dipping

Filling:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup agave nectar
a good pinch of sea salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract

Preheat oven to 300, and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and sea salt. In a large bowl, beat butter, green food coloring, powdered sugar, vanilla, and peppermint until smooth, then beat in the flour mixture until well combined.  Roll the dough by the rounded Tbsp into balls. Dip top half of balls in granulated sugar, and place on baking sheet, sugared side up.  Press down slightly with the bottom of a glass, and bake for 10 minutes until just set.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  To make filling, whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. 

37 comments:

  1. these are such cute cookies. the mint green, pastel-like colour is so adorable. I've never really heard of melting moment cookies. I'll definitely add it to my future recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I def. want to make these for our Christmas party this year--thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color combination. I'm amazed that your rich looking fudge filling is so easy to make! I'll have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mint and chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combinations! These look adorable and I'm sure I would inhale the whole batch in a matter of hours if I made them, haha. No sharing here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not huge fan of mint, but that look so delicious! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. I bet these taste as good as they look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fantastic! I know I would devour a whole lot in just a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melting Moments are very well known in Australia (where I am). They are always, to my knowledge, sandwiched. I've seen Vanilla, Chocolate and Passionfruit Melting Moments but never Peppermint. :)
    This variation looks lovely and I think I'll make some for Christmas hampers this year.
    Thanks so much for posting the recipe and all the helping info along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these are so cute! I love how you added the sparkle on top to make them even more holiday-ish too. And, of course, I'm sure they are so delicious...the combination of chocolate and mint rarely goes wrong...yum! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. melting moments are the closest thing we have to macaroons! these are beautifully offset with the chocolate center. I am going to have to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cookies look amazing!
    Congrats on the top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Congratulations on getting top 9! These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmm, you have no idea how much I would love one of those right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious! I love the mint chocolate combo too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! What a great looking cookie! Mint and chocolate is one of my favorite combination's!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just lovely! I only discovered melting moments this fall when I made some with passion fruit. I LOVE the melting texture. I'm eager to give these a try as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious. One of my favorite combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG these look wonderful. I love mint and chocolate together... Ande's mints come to mind. I am bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just what I was looking for! I am living in France with a super-healthy host family, but I am originally from the butter capitol of the world: The South. I want to make some baked goods for Christmas that they can consume, too! These look amazing, will be trying soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats to you for making the Top 9 today! These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of a peppermint melting moment. I grew up in Australia, so I have eaten my fair share of them, but never this flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look like heaven! and I love mint!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mint and chocolate ! Must be wonderful taste ... Thx for sharing ur recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look yummy and I LOVE mint and chocolate but this is kind of an inside-out version, I'm curious to try it! One question - you said 3/4 cup butter and then (6 tbsp). 1/2 cup butter= 8 tbsp so I was just wondering which measurement was right...3/4 cup (which is actually 1 and 1/2 sticks of butter= 12 tbsp) or 6 tbsp?

    ReplyDelete
  25. oops! You are right! I meant to say; 3/4 cup butter, or 12 Tbsp! I will fix the recipe above!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know what melting moments are, but mint anything draws me in. These are perfectly adorable and I love how you added the filling. I bet it really kicks them up a notch from the mediocre cookies of your youth.

    ReplyDelete
  27. decadent! congrats on top 9! beautiful color comb. wish i were your family!

    ReplyDelete
  28. these look gorgeous! I have so bookmarked this recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love mint and I love chocolate! These cookies look delicious! They are on my list of things to bake. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow. Minty Melting Moments...the triple M's!!! Great Post and congrats on being named Foodbuzz's Top 9!!! That is a pretty cool honor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice Cookies!!! I always loved mint flavour. Its so refreshing. I cant wait to try them especially if they are melting ones. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I made these cookies and while they were good, they didn't come out as "cookie like" as your photos. they were more like minty shortbread. I think I may have not used enough margarine. Somehow. /SHRUG/

    I made the sauce too and dipped anything I could find into it for weeks. It was the first time I used agave nectar, what a great idea! If you skipped out the mint I'd bet they'd be wicked good Milano like cookies. Will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG! I'd have to give up three months of beer to compensate for the calories
    if my wife made those.

    ReplyDelete