Thursday, December 16, 2010

Toasted Coconut Date Sandwich Cookies


When you think of cookies to make around Christmas, coconut date cookies probably don't come to mind.  But for whatever reason, I really wanted to make something with toasted coconut and dates and decided that I would include such a cookie in my Christmas cookie baking.  If anything, it would remind me of being somewhere warm and without cold and ice...very different from Minnesota right now. 


I came up with a toasted coconut cookie with triple coconut whammy in the form of toasted coconut, coconut oil, and coconut extract.  I made the cookies little, because when making Christmas cookies, you want to be able to eat more than just one! 


The cookie on its own was delicious, but I wanted to include dates as well, and not simply throw in chopped ones, so I made a citrus date filling to sandwich the little cookies together (those that were left after I snacked on some when they came out of the oven).  The cookies were wonderful.  The sweetness in them coming from the natural sweet flavor of the dates and coconut.  The toasted flavor of the cookie played well off the sweet citrusy date filling.  Christmas or not, coconut and date lovers add these to your cookies to make!


Toasted Coconut Date Sandwich Cookies
makes about 2 dozen

Cookies:
1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan buttery spread at room temperature
1/2 cup pureed silken tofu
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup toasted finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt

Filling:
3/4 cup pitted medjool dates
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
3 Tbsp orange juice
2 tsp orange zest
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
a large pinch of sea salt

In a large bowl, combine buttery spread and coconut oil with sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the tofu, vanilla extract, coconut extract, and agave nectar until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, coconut, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined, and place in the fridge to chill until firm (preferably overnight). To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 2 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly (but do not overbake!). Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.

9 comments:

  1. I love that your cookies include two of my favorite ingredient in one cookie, coconut and dates. The cookies look so delicious and I love the idea of using coconut, coconut oil and coconut extract! Anything that has that much coconut flavor is a cookie I'm just going to love. And I love the pairing of medjool dates with the flavors of orange and lemon for the filling. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dates and coconut!! That's right up my alley. These sound like they have just the right amount of sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative and looks great! Makes me wish that I was on your cookie giving list :)
    I bet dates gave a nice touch. I made last weekend cookie bars with dates and we finished in two days. If it was just simple cookie, would have stayed for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could eat many of these!!! Flavors are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! They look like little pudgies! I love the addition of the dates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dates and coconut! What an awesome flavor combination. These look great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been toying with adding dates to my cookies lately. ;) Your filling looks wonderful...and it must tasty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the things I love about your blog...I can always come here to find delicious AND unique recipes. I would have never thought to put these ingredients/flavors together, but they are a winning combination! Thank you for sharing this recipe with me. I hope you have a weekend full of relaxation and fun!

    ReplyDelete