Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Almond Butter Swirl Brownies


Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven.  But so are almond butter and chocolate in my opinion!  I actually prefer almond butter to peanut most of the time, since I prefer it stirred into my oatmeal or on toast.   When I decided to make peanut butter swirl brownies the other day, I discovered I had no peanut butter on hand so I went for the almond instead! 


A great substituition it was!  Almost like a more sophisticated grown up version of the peanut butter chocolate combo.  The almond butter had a more toasty flavor, and was heavenly in the chocolate brownies! I used my vegan brownie base sweetened with agave nectar and filled with dark chocolaty goodness.  I baked them in muffin tins this time so they would already be in individual servings, no cutting would be necessary!    It made for a pretty presentation, but not that it mattered since they weren't around long!  If you are an almond butter fan, try out these brownies for a change!


Vegan Almond Butter Swirl Brownies
Makes 24

Swirl:
1 cup roasted salted almond butter
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Brownies:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup coconut oil
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp pure almond extract
3/4 cup pureed silken tofu
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position. Spray a 24 cup standard sized muffin tin (or 2 12 cup pans) with non-stick spray in the cups(or line with tins and skip the spray). In a medium bowl, whisk together almond butter agave nectar and vanilla extract (for the swirl) and set aside.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, and sea salt, and set aside. In a large bowl, place chcocolate and oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to melt the chocolate, until the chocolate and oil are smooth and well combined. Whisk in the agave nectar, extracts, and tofu until well incorporated. Then add the flour mixture and whisk until well blended, then whisk in vinegar until well incorporated.  You should see pale streaks in the batter from the vinegar reacting with the baking soda. Pour the batter into the prepared tins dividing evenly between them. Drop about 2 tsp almond butter swirl onto each brownie, and swirl with a knife, or a toothpick.  Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until set, starting to pull away from the edges of the tins and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean. Do not overbake! Let cool in pan on a wire rack.

21 comments:

  1. I just want to pick up one from the photos! They look so good, and recipe is awesome. got to try this soon! Great job Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had almond butter but now I definitely want to try it! The picture looks fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy. I've never baked with tofu before. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About peanut butter and chocolate you are so right.. :) your brownies look really great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought to use almond butter! Whoa I bet these are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look AMAZING!!! As usual, you have me drooling on my keyboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never used almond butter in any of my recipes but those brownies look soooooooooo GOOD. Can't wait to try this out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This amazing yummmm almond butter recipe is great........... those brownies i'ii try sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This amazing yummmm almond butter recipe is great........... those brownies i'ii try sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want I want I want! Great recipe and cute muffin shapes! I"ll be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ate almond butter every day last week at my sister's house! If I would have known, I could have made these yummy brownies!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. These brownies look great! I love tht you made them into individual muffin servings :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Almond butter is the best. Why did I never think of adding it to brownies?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tempting brownies.. looks perfect with my tea here ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful flavor combination. Almonds and chocolate...dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I've never tried using almond butter before in brownies, but these look delicious. I love almond butter, so def need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Almond butter sounds so yummy! I love that there's lots of swirl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These do look yummy! I find that nowadays, I usually have almond butter on hand instead of peanut butter. I'm glad that the chocolate and almond combo worked so well here. Now I have a new recipe to try this weekend. Thank you for sharing your tasty treat and thoughts with me tonight. I hope you have a great weekend. I'm so glad Friday is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree, almond and chocolate are a perfectly delicious combination. Thanks for sharing your recipe. These brownies look incredible!(:

    ReplyDelete
  20. Always loved almond in almost anything and this is a wonderful combo you came up with. On my list of 'must trys.'

    ReplyDelete