Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blueberry Almond Scuffins


I was trying to decide between making scones and muffins because both sounded equally good to me.  The tender buttery flakiness of a scone vs the cakiness of a muffin...it was a tough descision!  I asked my friends on Facebook which they preferred and the poll was equally divided.  So I thought, why not do a hybrid of a scone and a muffin!  A scuffin! 


What was the worst that could happen, they didn't quite turn out and I would be left with a tasty mistake.  I decided to take my basic scone recipe and bake it in muffin tins, because doing so would change the texture slightly to make it more muffin like but still buttery and with the delicious qualities of a scone.  But what type to make?  My Dad insisted I make blueberry muffins...cutting the scone out alltogether.  This was no shock to me because one of my earliest memories was of my Dad making blueberry muffins on a weekend morning and enjoying them with breakfast.  Granted he was no baker, but I still loved them as a child and at least he was making an effort.  This weekend I decided to use his idea of including blueberries, but they are out of season right now in Minnesota and the ones that are available at the store are flavorless.  I could have gone for organic frozen berries, but I opted instead for the dried, because those I did have.  I thought the dried blueberries would be lovely with toasted almonds in the scones with a hint of lemon zest. 


The scuffins baked up wondefully and smelled heavenly!  One good thing about them is they took less time to bake, as they were a little smaller than my usual scones.  I did not wait long for them to cool before I popped one out of the tin with a knife and devoured it.  This is why I burn my mouth so many times, but not this time thankfully!  What I had created was every good thing about a scone and a muffin...still buttery and flaky, but also muffinlike, and a nice crispy top!  The flavor was wonderful with the blueberries and toastyness of the almonds with a hint of lemon!  It was a good thing I made a double batch because I had promised to share some and there would not have been any left if I had made a single!  Can't decide between scones and muffins, make scuffins!   

Blueberry Almond Scuffins
Makes 12

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup maple sugar, or granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold Earth Balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
1 cup cold full fat coconut milk (chilled in the fridge is best), mixed well
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
1 cup dried blueberries
coconut milk for brushing
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 with the rack set at the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the coconut milk. Add the milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. fold in blueberries and almonds until evenly distributed. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray, and drop the scone batter into the holes dividing evenly between them. Brush the tops with the coconut milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 12

20 comments:

  1. Great idea to combine the two :) And the combo of blueberries and almonds sounds delicious! A great afternoon tea treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, wish could had one these this morning for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scuffins look delicious. Super innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks too good!
    I will never start with my new year dieting with your amazing sweet treats:)) Every time when I visit your blog I have to have something sweet after LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are precious. When I saw these on facebook last night, I thought, "These couldn't be more perfect!" I love how I can see the berries and nuts in each scuffin. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photographs with me. Your words and your creativity are blessings in my life. I hope you have a bountiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!! I love that word... scuffin. I'm going to remember that!
    Blueberry is one of our favorites too and I haven't heeded the recent requests. This might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blueberries and almonds sound great :) somehow about this combination I haven't thought or even heard before :) it's really lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a great idea to combine muffins and scones! This reminded me of a recent post I read about "muffcakes" (a savory muffin/cupcake). Love reading creative cooking adventures like this, I always feel inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are unbelievable. I love the cracking on top, just like a scone but i can see how they would be a little more light like a muffin. I hope I wake up with enough time on Monday morning to make a batch of these, what a sweet surprise in my daughter's lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing and yummy. Do you know how to make them gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think these would be really good with cornflour and cornmeal! Just use half cornmeal and half corn flour. You may need to add an additional 2 Tbsp or so of the flour, since it seems to soak up more liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how clever - scuffins! LOVE IT! :) And they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to wake up to a scuffin tomorrow morning. :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband loves blueberries. Thank you for the recipe. I will try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would've loved to have a scuffin this morning for breakfast! They look so healthy and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these look so tempting--excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scuffins are the bomb! I love blueberry and almond, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could definitely go for one (or two) of these for breakfast! They look scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete