Monday, January 3, 2011

Cardamom Orange Coconut Pudding Brûlée


I felt like a simple dessert yesterday, so I decided to make myself some coconut pudding.  Not just plain however, I thought it would be nice with a little cardamom, orange, and rosewater to make it fragrant as well as delicious!  The pudding was wonderful, comfort food for dessert, the delicate flavors dancing on my tongue and putting me in my happy place!  Now, I know there is no such thing as making too much dessert, but I had leftovers.  So I thought it might be nice to experiment with them!  I wanted to chill the remaining pudding and top it off with a crunchy brûlée topping!  So I tried it and it was delicious!  Like the classic french dessert crème brûlée but different, being that the base was a vegan coconut pudding.  I love it when experiments turn into successes, and this one definately was!  I suppose you couldn't call it crème brûlée, since it is so different in the custard base, but who cares!  So if you would like an a new twist on a brûléed dessert, try this out!


Cardamom Orange Coconut Pudding Brûlée
Serves 2 to 3

1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 3/4 cups coconut milk
1 cup agave nectar
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 Tbsp orange zest
3 Tbsp orange juice
pinch of sea salt
2 tsp rosewater
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
granulated sugar for brûlée

In a medium saucepan, place cornstarch, and slowly whisk a little coconut milk in at a time until you have a smooth paste. Whisk in remaining coconut milk, agave nectar, cardamom, orange zest and juice, and sea salt and heat on medium high, whisking continuously until mixture thickens.  Remove from heat when the consistency of pudding, and whisk in rosewater and vanilla.  Strain custard through a fine mesh strainer if desired, then pour into 2 or 3 creme brûlée dishes (depending on how large yours are), place a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface (to prevent a skin from forming), and refridgerate until cold, or overnight.  To do the brûlée topping, sprinkle a layer of sugar over each custard in the dishes.  Run a crème brûlée torch over the custards until the sugar is browned, melted and caramelized (alternatively you can place the brûlées under the broiler in the oven and caramelize them). Let cool slightly.  Serve!

12 comments:

  1. All I wanted for Christmas was a brulee torch...my husband said I'd laser off a finger. Love the flavors in this brulee...and I really love the coconut milk - It's my new favorite ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipes are always sooo goooood! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the creativity you share with us, week after week. I've been craving coconut lately, and this sounds like the perfect way to satiate my urges. I would love to put this mixture in a pie crust. Thank you for sharing with me, my dear. I hope you have a lovely Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a unique recipe! Sounds like a delicious experiment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dessert sounds delicious and with a very unique flavor combo. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!!!Amazing combo, and I just love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! I feel like this would be a dessert that can go just as well on a hot summer day as a cold winter night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brûlée is the one thing I can't live without and I'm in a constant search for vegan and healthy recipes. This one looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm, what wonderful additions to a brulee! Looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flavor combination sounds fantastic! I'll have to go and get myself a little torch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds amazing! Yummy vegan pudding, *and* I get to use a torch! What's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's orange season here and i want to try that. i shall conveniently side step the brulee torch part! i would love to have one.

    ReplyDelete