Monday, January 17, 2011

Little Almond Poppyseed Muffins



My Mom has always told me about this really good almond poppyseed cake my Great Grandma used to make.  She described it as having a delicate but present almond flavor with a hint of lemon, and loaded with lots of wonderful poppyseeds in a moist dense cake.  This cake was a layer cake and was very beautiful with cream cheese frosting.  I have never seen this cake, because by the time I met my Great Grandma, she was in a nursing home and no longer baking wonderful cakes.  She has since died, and we do not have the recipe.  But all of those wonderful flavors in the cake sounded so good to me that I thought they would be perfect in a muffin!  The muffins would be much simpler to make, and a lot faster, but still just as delicious!  I decieded to make them in a mini muffin tin, because I like little cute things.  Not to mention that it is an excuse to eat more...so much for portion control!  I was going to skip the cream cheese frosting this time however, since I didn't have any and simply sprinkle the muffins with turbinado sugar for crunch.  I my vanilla vegan muffin recipe but replaced the coconut milk with almond milk and added a good amount of almond extract for an heavenly almond flavor.   Also, I made sure to add plenty of poppyseeds and a little lemon juice, so it would be just as flavorful as my Great Grandma's cake.  The muffins smelled wonderful, and filled my kitchen with the aroma of almonds, somewhat remeniscent of a Christmas cookie!  I had to try a warm one right out of the oven and it was wonderful...bright almond flavor with crunchy poppyseeds in a moist cake!  I gave my Mom some to sample and she loved them, saying they had just as good of a flavor, if not better than her Grandma's cake.  My Mom has always been an almond lover though, so maybe she is biased.  Whatever the case, they were delicious, and if you would like to enjoy some as well try this recipe out!


Little Almond Poppyseed Muffins
makes 12 mini muffins

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup maple sugar or granulated sugar
2 Tbsp poppyseeds
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 Tbsp lemon juice or cider vinegar
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position rack in center of oven. Spray a 12 cup mini muffin tin with nonstick spray in the holes.  Whisk flour, baking soda, sea salt, sugar and poppyseeds in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk oil, milk, vanilla and almond extract together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended. Whisk in lemon juice and stir quickly (pale swirls will be in the batter, which is the baking soda reacting with the vinegar, which allows the cake to rise since there are no eggs). Spoon the batter into prepared tins filling each 2/3 full, sprinkle each with turbinado sugar, and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 10-12 minutes.

20 comments:

  1. What sweet inspiration for these lovely muffins. I think I'd really like these--I love almond-flavored desserts, especially infused with citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy..I love ingredients that you used for these gorgeous muffins! Beautiful Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your great-granny would be so proud of you :-) These muffins look and sound amazing! I want some! May I ask if there's a substitution I can make for the whole wheat pastry flour? I'm not sure where to get some :-( Coconut oil, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful. A very sweet tribute to your great grandma. I wish that we could have preserved more of the special recipes to our families. But sounds like you did hers justice and then some. Bravo on the portion control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look very cute.. Such little things looks so nice as present to someone.. :) I like things with poppy seeds.. they make things look somehow nicer to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love poppyseeds :). They make muffins look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful little gems...I love the flavor combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made some cherry muffins and I'm thinking that I need to go and get some poppyseed because I would really love to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the flavor combination. Plus it's nice that the recipe is inspired from your great grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hester, you can use any other mild flavored oil in place of the coconut, and use all purpose flour for the whole wheat pastry if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great, healthy looking muffin. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great twist on the lemon poppyseed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well baked and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo....almond and lemon...what a nice mix. The sugar across the top makes it just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great flavor combo! And mini anything always tastes even better :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! The flavor combo sounds delicious. I love muffins. Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great muffin! Especially the turbinado on top! And what a lovely story about your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great minds think alike! I love how we posted lemon poppyseed muffins within days of each other. I also love how you added almond extract. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing your tasty treat with me. I hope you had a great day...may tomorrow be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mine didn't rise very well...what could I have done wrong? (should I have mixed the lemon juice in there a lot longer so I don't see the streaks left at all?)

    Also, I used white flour...was I supposed to have put in a different amount of flour?

    Thanks for your help! My husband loved the batter.

    ReplyDelete