Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Orange Scented Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread


On Monday I had a really bad craving for some banana bread.  It probably had something to do with it being baked at my work, and smelling so good...on my break that day, I decided that I must make some when I got home.  The last hour and a half after my break never seems as productive as before...maybe it is the food coma.  On Monday mind was certainly elsewhere as I was dreaming about what possible ways I could make banana bread even more delicious, since I wasn't going for conventional this time.  Yes, I could add coconut, or nuts, or simply chocolate chips, but I had done all those before...but then I thought what could be more marvelous than a marbled banana bread!  Afterall marble cake is always beautiful, so why not marbled banana bread! 


I decided that was what I was going to make, but why stop there.  I decided I also wanted the bread have a subtle hint of orange and cardamom because it goes so well with the chocolate.  The loaves turned out beautifully swirled with the chocolate and studded with chocolate chips.  They smelled heavenly while baking, but what was even more heavenly was their wonderful flavor!   The sweet bread was remenicent of a banana cake...with dark chocolate and light notes of aromatic cardamom and orange.  Gooey chocolate chips studded the cake as it was still warm from the oven, all of this together was delicious!  Good thing there was more than one loaf, because one goes awfully quick!  These would be wonderful to give as gifts in the future I have decided as well!  The next time you have a few over ripe bananas, you must try this bread!


Orange Scented Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread
makes 3 mini loaves

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup maple sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup pureed banana
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp orange extract
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp orange zest
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 cup mini semisweet vegan chocolate chips

2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 oz semisweet vegan chocolate
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position rack in center of oven. Spray three small (3x6 inch) loaf pans with 2-inch-high sides with non-stick cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, salt, and sugar in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk banana, oil, vanilla extract, orange extract, orange zest, orange juice, and coconut milk together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended, then stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and set aside for a minute.  Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth. Whisk in cider vinegar into batter and stir quickly (pale swirls will be in the batter, which is the baking soda reacting with the vinegar, which allows the cake to rise since there are no eggs).  Remove half the batter to another bowl and whisk in chocolate.  Drop batter into prepared pans, alternating chocolate and plain and swirl with a knife to marble.  Bake breads until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes (check at 15 and if tops are browned, cover with foil and continue to bake until done.

21 comments:

  1. Ahhh your photos are always amazing! Love that you added a bit of orange. I am making a marbled banana bread as I type this ... it's in the oven ... I can't wait to eat it! It smells so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banana with chocolate? I never tried that - but why not?! Fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVerything about this appeals to me! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swirl in the bread looks great! I love your combination of flavors, sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't this sound awesome! Pumpkin. banana. chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love the added orange; it takes this to a whole new level

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orange Scented Chocolate Swirled Banana Bread?! Yum!!! As usual... your baking creations make me want to devour the computer screen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange and chocolate is my hands down favorite fruit-chocolate combo! I also love the swirls (I made swirled brownies this weekend!) Great post as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious. I will definately keep this in mind next time I have some bananas

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! Orange and chocolate is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really enjoying all of the spice and ingredient combos you have here! Orange and chocolate is one of my favorites, haven't had it with banana, but I'm certain it would be fabulous! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im having tea now so I would like a big piece of this now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. gosh, the bread looks swell! Loved the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow love the flavor combination. Def have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the information about vanilla recipes

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful recipe! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing inside and out. Great combination of flavors. I wish I had a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum. It's cold out today and I want this.

    PS- I nominated your blog (found it through FoodBuzz) for the Stylish Blog Award:

    GLOSSING OVER IT

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smile. You and I are a lot alike in that we love adding a little twist to our favorite recipes. I love what you did here with the orange flavor and the marbling. Inspiring! Thank you for sharing yet another delicious recipe. I hope you have a wonderful weekend...enjoy yourself and eat well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this looks so moist and wonderful! I love it!
    Hey just to let you know I have little blog award at my blog for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. UGH it's like you read my mind. Why don't you have a cookbook or something? This bread looks awesome. The marbling is super pretty.

    ReplyDelete