Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Heavenly Coconut Macadamia White Chocolate Scones

My Mom was asking me yesterday if I could make her some white chocolate macadamia cookies.  She has always been a big white chocolate macadamia cookie lover, and I had to admit I hadn't made them in a while.  I am really more of a dark chocolate than white chocolate person, and as exotic as they are, I much prefer other nuts to macadamias but I thought as long as I had the ingredients I could whip up a batch of cookies.  The only problem was I was feeling lazy, and mixing the cookies, waiting for the dough to chill, and forming the dough into balls was not appealing. 


So I decided to make scones instead!  Better yet, include coconut in them!  Afterall, they would still have the same flavor, just be quicker to make.  I decided to include a little orange zest and orange flower water to give the background flavor a delicate perfumed note, and it added that something extra...that can't put your finger on it but these are heavenly! 


They came together quick, and smelled incredibly aromatic as they were baking with all the coconut, which is one of my favorite smells.  I always feel a bit happier when coconut is toasting in my oven.  We sampled them warm, and I had to admit they were awfully heavenly even if they didn't have my choice of nuts or chocolate.  My Mom had a good idea, and I was glad I listened to her this time.  She admitted that the scones were better than the cookies, so my laziness payed off as well, which was good, because that is usually not the case!  If you would like some heavenly scones for yourself, here is the recipe!  


Heavenly Coconut Macadamia White Chocolate Scones
Makes 8
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup maple sugar, or granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp orange zest
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 stick cold Earth Balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
1 cup cold full fat coconut milk (chilled in the fridge is best), mixed well
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp orange flower water
1 cup toasted chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup toasted large flake coconut
4 oz vegan white chocolate chopped
coconut milk for brushing
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 with the rack set at the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla and orangeflower water into the coconut milk. Add the milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. fold in macadamias, coconut and white chocolate until evenly distributed. Place dough on a floured work surface, and shape into a 4 inch wide log. Use a bench scraper to cut into trianges. There should be about 8. Place scones on the prepared baking sheet, reshaping slightly if necessary. Brush the tops with the coconut milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack slightly, but enjoy warm!

21 comments:

  1. Those scones look out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart scones! These look sooo moist and amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the coconut and orange zest and water just sound delightful! What a great change from the cookies requested to something so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, these sound like the perfect scones! I love your addition of coconut~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look awesome,where did you get the vegan white chocolate to chop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can order it online from veganessentials.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my Emeril Lagasse voice, "You could put white chocolate on a bumper and it would taste good."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything on your blog is so heavenly! mmm delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scones are indeed very heavenly. All your vegan cooking is so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These do sound heavenly! I love the combo of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are beautiful and gorgeous!So tasty..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look amazing! I didn't even know there was vegan white chocolate... I'm off to hunt some down, now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coconut and white chocolate, I love these scones for these two ingredients :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flavors here sound amazing! I would take these over a cookie any day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh I love the combo of macadamia and white chocolate. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with your Mom! I love the macadamia nut/white chocolate combo! That's why these scones are going to be made real soon... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like your mom...I ADORE white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, but I'm so glad that you adapted this classic because I also love scones. Thank you for sharing, sweetheart. I hope you have a wonderful Friday...and an even better weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look like they'd be aaamazing with coconut milk ice cream. I'm also on your mom's team, white chocolate macadamia is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooo, I LOVE scones! Coconut and lime sounds like the perfect combo! Thanks for linking up at Sweet & Savoury Sundays! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I am happy to share!

      Delete