Saturday, February 5, 2011

If I Were A Cake...My Blogaversary!


A year ago today I published my first blog post on "Fragrant Vanilla Cake". When I started this blog I didn't know much of anything about food blogging.   I had a lot to learn about food photography, and I wasn't sure about what to write.  All I knew was I wanted to share my share my successes in recipe experiments trying to create desserts and baked goods that tasted decadent but were kind to the body as well.  My first post was actually a red velvet cupcake.  Here is the link if you are interested:
http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com/2010/02/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-secret.html
It has sort of been a process, I have included more vegan recipes as of lately, and I have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't.  I have had some cooking disasters and cooking sucesses.  Mainly successes thankfully, and I have also begun to enjoy photography again, something I have not had to do since I was in college getting an education in studio art.  This blog has allowed me to enjoy myself through the art of creating delicious food, and sharing it with you all in the process!  I came up with the name "Fragrant Vanilla Cake" because to me there is nothing more heavenly than the fragrance of vanilla cake baking in the oven. 


In honor of my Blogaversary  I needed to create some dessert that was worthy of such an occasion.  Really, it is my blog's Birthday, so why not a Birthday cake. 


I have always loved princess cakes for birthdays, but never made one myself, but what better a time than now?  This princess cake would be different however, my own take on a princess cake.  If I were a cake, this is what I would be.  A vanilla almond base with a hint of coconut, marzipan and raspberry filling in between the layers and cream cheese frosting topped off with crunchy almonds. 


Of course the cake had to be a happy pink color as well!  It was delicious, the sweet cake with the tart raspberry filling and smooth marzipan.  The crunchy toasty almonds were a nice contrast to the silky cream cheese frosting.  It was something pretty to look at as well as devour. 


As I reflect back on my year creating this blog, I am happy with what I have learned in the process, and I look forward to my second year!  Happy Blogaversary!


Amy's Princess Cake
Makes 1 6 inch 4 layer cake

2 6 inch cake pans

Cake:
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup maple sugar or granulated sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup lite organic coconut milk or almond milk
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
seeds of one vanilla bean
2 tsp almond extract
2 Tbsp lemon juice

Filling:
8 oz almond paste
6 Tbsp raspberry jam

Frosting:
2 8 oz pkgs tofutti cream cheese
1/4 cup agave nectar
4 Tbsp maple sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
plant based red food coloring (if desired)

1 cup toasted sliced almonds (about)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position rack in center of oven. Line two six-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper and pan sides with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, sea salt, and sugar in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk oil, milk, vanilla extract, vanllla seeds, and almond extract together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended. Whisk in lemon juice vinegar and stir quickly (pale swirls will be in the batter, which is the baking soda reacting with the lemon juice, which allows the cake to rise since there are no eggs). Transfer cake batter to prepared pan and bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack, about 1 hour. Cut around sides of pan to loosen. Turn cake out onto platter; peel off parchment paper. Let cool completely, then place in the fridge to chill until very cold to make slicing easier (since cakes with no eggs crumble easier). When chilled, slice cakes horizontally in half so that you have 4 layers.
To make frosting, whip cream cheese until smooth, then add agave, maple sugar, vanilla and beat until smooth. Beat in a few drops of food coloring until frosting is pink.
Divide marzipan into 3 pieces, and roll each into a circle the diameter of the cake (6 inches). 
To assemble cake, place one layer on a plate, and top with about 2 Tbsp raspberry jam. Spread out over cake layer but not all the way to the edge, because you don't want it to ooze. Top with one marzipan circle, then spread about 2 Tbsp cream cheese frosting over marzipan.  Top with another cake layer and repeat, then the next 2 layers ending with a top layer of cake. To frost cake, spread frosting over top and sides, smothing out as you go. Set remaining frosting aside, and use toasted almonds to coat the sides of the cake.  Use the remaining frosting to pipe decoratively onto the top of the cake using a pastry bag or plastic ziplock with a hole in the corner. I piped the frosting around the top edges of the cake, but feel free to be creative!

*if you would like a 4 layer 9 inch cake, double this entire recipe and bake in two 9 inch cake pans.

37 comments:

  1. Congrats on your one year mark! Blogging is such a great experience and you never know where ti leads. Such a gorgeous looking cake. Hope for more continued success your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your beautiful blog! This cake is fantastic - full of surprises. Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogoversary!! What a perfect cake to celebrate with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on your blogaversary! I love your blog and your cakes and deserts always make my mouth water. i hope you're around for many more years to come. you've done a fantastic job this year. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blogaversary Amy, I have long way to go:)) Your cake is just so beautiful, perfect for this day!!!:)
    Hope we have you around for many many many more years!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big Happy Blogaversary to you!! As someone new to the blogging world, I am excited for you - and for my own 1 year blogaversary! You inspire all of us! By the way - your cake looks decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy blogiversary! What a delicious way to celebrate

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous cake! Congrats on blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the 1 year anniversary! This is definitely a well-deserved cake! Love the pretty layers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This princess cake is beautiful! I love all the layers and of course, the pink frosting :) Congrats on an awesome year of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good god - hard to believe its vegan!

    You have a Lovely Blog award awaiting you at http://t.co/xTVccVw :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Bday to your blog !!
    And the cake is really cute, sweet and tasty..

    ReplyDelete
  13. O my goodness, Amy! I actually came to your blog today because I am looking for a great cake recipe and I thought you would be the best source. And now I find out that it is your blogaversary?!? AND you baked a GORGEOUS cake to celebrate?!!?!? You are my hero.

    Seriously, a big congratulations on a wonderful year of blogging - here's to many more.

    And your Princess Cake is the MAX!!! Congrats and thanks for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one gorgeous cake!!
    Happy Blogaversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on your anniversary. Well, if you didn't know how to start with photography etc. you sure have proved what you can do in a year! Fabulous photos, delicious looking recipes and great site. All the best for another exciting year ahead for Fragrant Vanilla Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on a year! I started the same - not a freakin' clue what I was doing, just having fun! Love your blog, and that cake looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday/Anniversary!

    Your cake is beautiful.

    Is there any substitution for the coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous celebratory cake, Amy! Happy anniversary to you and your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! Happy anniversary! I can't believe my 1 year will be coming up in April. Time has flown by, hasn't it? The cake looks amazing! I'm terrible at layered cakes. I must ask you--what do you use to slice the layers in half? The cake layers are all the same size!!!! I envy that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, I wish that cake was for my birthday... it looks incredible. You are such a pro ... I love all your creations and I always look forward to seeing your new posts.
    Happy Blogoversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy happy happy Blogaversary!!!!!! I love the marizipan-cream cheese combo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy blogiversary!!! What a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty cake for such a special day. Happy Blogiversary and may you have many many more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Blogaversary!

    Lovely cake...I adore the color in the icing and the layers. Excellent job as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wooooow! This is dazzling! The layers look so perfect I wish I had the ambition to do something like this. Beautiful as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Some buzz love for your anniversary... Well deserved for that cake is dazzling AND gorgeous! I'd say you've done very well in a year's time. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Blogaversary! Your cake is beautiful, and sounds like a dream. Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your blogaversary! And to go all out with a pretty-in-pink cake. Pure perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats! and that is one sumptuous looking cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful Pink cake for your blog aniversary.. Congratulation! Keep on blogging (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  31. CONGRATS! The cake looks just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Blogaversary!!! The cake is awesome - soooooooo CUTE!!! I love it :)

    Amy, I have a Sunshine blog award for you: http://angellovescooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/tikvenik-aka-phyllo-pampkin-pie-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Look at that cake! Its beautiful! Congrats on the blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Blogoversary! I was impressed with the outside of the cake, then saw the inside. It looks amazing! Great way to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yummy *drools*

    I will try to recreate this... butI'm sure it will not turn out as good.

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like this site^-^

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely return.

    ReplyDelete