Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Maple Fleur de Sel Brownie Tart


Laughter is contagious, and without it life would not be as sweet. Like the way adding a bit of sea salt to a brownie can make all the difference in it being just good or amazing! 


Today I was at work in the deli, and it was about a half hour before my long awaited break.  I was standing there chopping veg for a salad, in my own little world when suddenly I heard loud cackles of laughter from behind me.  It was my co worker who I was sure had lost it as she was standing there cracking up at what appeared to be nothing.  I asked her what was so funny and she replied "This song they are playing...what on earth are they singing?"  They play oldies at my work all day long, and often times we can't decipher the lyrics so we make up our own funny ones.  She had made up some new words to the song, and it was rather funny.  Suddenly we were all laughing and remembering all of the other wierd song lyrics we had mistaken in the past.  One example was the song "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Cleerwater Revival.  The Lyrics are "There's a bad moon on the rise", and we like to sing "There's a bathroom on the right... I guess other people have made the same mistake about the lyrics, but it is still pretty funny.  Today the mistaken song lyrics started off a train of laughter and songs that lasted well into the afternoon.  Needless to say, I was in a good mood when I left today!  I appriciate that I can laugh and joke around with my friends and co workers in the deli, and the way they make me smile! 


Laughter is needed, especially at work to get you through the day and make being there more pleasant.  A little goes a long way, but is needed to make life a bit sweeter.  It is not needed, but it certainly makes it better!  Kind of like fleur de sel on a brownie. 


You can make them without it, but if you add some it makes them all the more delicious.  I recently made a vegan maple fleur de sel brownie, because I was looking to healthify my original fleur de sel brownie recipe which was good, but pretty rich. 


I added the maple to be a little different, but it ended up being a delicious addition!  I baked them in a tart pan as well, because I thought a brownie tart would be beautiful!  Deep dark wedges of chocolaty goodness sprinkled with sparkly sea salt and that beautiful scalloped edge.  


 These brownies are so good, they brought a smile to my face.  Plenty decadent and rich without being unhealthy.  Here is the recipe if you would like some for yourself.  Share them with a friend and share a few smiles and laughs...it will make your life sweeter!


Vegan Maple Fleur de Sel Brownie Tart
makes 16 wedges
Brownies:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp fleur de sel
1 cup coconut oil
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
3/4 cup pureed silken tofu
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 tsp maple extract
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
a large pinch of sea salt

fleur de sel
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position. spray a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom with non-stick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, sea salt and set aside. In a large bowl, place chcocolate and oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to melt the chocolate, until the chocolate and oil are smooth and well combined. Whisk in maple syrup, along with vanilla, maple extract and tofu, and whisk to blend until well incorporated. Whisk in vinegar until well blended and there are pale swirls throughout the batter. Pour batter into pan.  Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until set, starting to pull away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean. Do not overbake! Let cool in on a rack. Let set for at least an hour, then cut into wedges.

19 comments:

  1. AAHH my god this looks delicious. What kind of sea salt did you use? I love using maldon salt for anything "saled". This has inspired me to make one of my favouries! A salted caramel-slice. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would make me pretty darn happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfection Amy! I never had with some salt on the top, but it looks really tempting and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me miss my tart pan :( It broke and I haven't replaced it. On a positive note, these look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look pretty! Makes me want to buy a nice tart pan too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! Love the salty and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious tart - I love the sweet and savory combination!

    I make up songs too when I am unsure of the lyrics. And because I speak another language, sometimes I like to translate the lyrics to Macedonian... it sounds really funny because a literal translation does not make any sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmmmmm... this looks so rich and decadent!! I am practically drooling on the keyboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so so good.. chocolate.. Im falling for this cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy, what a fabulous, decadent brownie (without all those unhealthy ingredients!). My family loves frosting so these are perfect~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Boy.. What a tempting post picture.. so chocolate and Yummy! another credit for U for making this ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, love the brownie in a tart pan. It looks perfect! Second, my boyfriend sings along to songs all the time, yet with his own unique lyrics. His songs are always interesting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This tart looks incredible! I loooove the chocolate/fleur de sel combination!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, really? I'm loving a salt/chocolate combination in anything right now, but to add maple? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! Salt added to chocolate is one of my favourites but adding your extra of maple in there just takes it to yet another level. As for the laughter, it sounds great fun at the deli sharing with your colleagues. Can just imagine the scene. We can never have too much of these moments!

    ReplyDelete