Monday, February 7, 2011

A Weekend of Skiing and Citrus Poppyseed Ice Cream



How often do you get to stand at the top of a snowy hill wearing spandex from head to toe and hear a cannon go off?  In a nordic ski race of course! 


It is quite the sub culture really...spectators ringing cow bells at you as you ski past in your bright spandex racing suit yelling "Hya! Hya! Hya!"  or "Hup! Hup! Hup!"  as you ski up a hill (that's right not down...because real skiers ski uphill). 


At the starting line the skiers discuss what wax they put on their skis in order to make them go the fastest, or how many layers they wore.  This weekend I participated in the City of Lakes Loppet 33k ski race in Minneapolis, and it was a wonderful experience!  I used to be big into skiing in high school, and was pretty good, but have since become more of a runner than a skier, simply skiing for fun and as an alternative workout to running.  I decided to do this race this year (my third after taking a few off), and boy did I pick a good year to do it! 

Minnesota has gotten more snow than I can ever remember falling this year.  The conditions for the race were perfect, about 30 degrees...in past years there has been not enough snow or it has melted.  The course was beautiful, through the woods (with lots of hills), on the lakes and with gorgeous views of Minneapolis.  I wished I had a camera at some points...not that I would have stopped because I was not skiing super slow.  Just being out gliding over the snow was a wonderful feeling, and I felt at home. 


Of course during my race I had a lot of time to think...and of course I thought about what kind of dessert I could make that night.  I decided on a berry crisp, since I had some frozen berries, but if I made crisp, I had to make ice cream to go on top of it.  It is essential in my opinion.  So I was out skiing in the cold and thinking about ice cream...maybe I am crazy, or maybe not.  Ice cream can be for year round right?  I knew I had a bunch of citrus in on my counter so I thought Hmm...vanilla citrus ice cream?  But that wasn't exactly , so Iwhat I was looking for so decided that I needed to add poppyseeds. 

I love citrus and poppyseeds together, in muffins and cakes.  But I have never the combination in ice cream so I thought I needed to make some with it!  I used lemon and orange the juice and zest, to give it a light citrusy flavor on a coconut milk base, and added the poppyseeds.  I told my Mom what I was going to make, and she gave me a funny look.  "That sounds a little wierd, poppyseeds in ice cream."  She said.  But my reply was don't knock it 'till you try it!  Which was a smart thing to say, because it ended up being pure deliciousness!  It was so refreshing with the citrus, and the texture of the poppyseeds was wonderful!  So I sat enjoying my large portion of crisp and ice cream, which I had earned with all the skiing, and took in how heavenly it was.  My Mom has since taste tested the ice cream, and she had to admit she was wrong about the poppyseeds.  She loved it! 


Although this ice cream has citrus, which is in season right now, I would definately not limit it to this time of the year and make it year round!  I'll bet it is even more refreshing in the summer.  If you would like to experience the deliciousness of this ice cream for yourself, here is the recipe!


Citrus Poppy Seed Ice Cream
Makes 4 cups

3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
2 Tbsp organic lemon zest
1 Tbsp orange zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup black poppyseeds

Combine all ingredients except poppyseeds in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, mix in poppyseeds until evenly distributed.  Pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

13 comments:

  1. No where near a racer, but I miss skiing! And what a fantastic ice cream flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmm... Your Citrus Poppyseed Ice Cream looks so delicious and delightful! :)

    Hahaha... I love that you are thinking about dessert while you are racing! And I can't believe I did not know about this sport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, the ice cream looks just like dragon fruit. i used to love eating that in thailand. especially with the citrus in the plating. it looks wonderful

    those pics are really cool. you have some good action shots there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that ice cream sounds even on this cold weather awesome! And you are so cute on the photos, to tell you the truth I would go down on my behind..:)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome!!! I definitely think you Nordic skiers put all of us downhill skiers to shame. What an awesome sport to compete in. Kudos on the race and on this delicious looking ice cream as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Sandra...you are darling! And this is definitely an ice cream flavor combination I have never heard of...but would be happy to dive into! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe...Love the combination of poppyseed and citrus fruits in the coconut ice cream mix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a unique flavor of ice cream - it sounds so refreshing! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First: you are adorable. Not many people look cute in ski gear, but you look so beautiful! Second: this ice cream has to be one of the best things I've seen all month. Thank you for sharing your words, your photos and your thoughts. I'm blessed to have you in my day! I hope you have a wonderful week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ice cream, would go good together with lemon poppy seed pancakes :)) I really love idea of such ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never make it as a skier, I would go down the entire hill on my behind! Ice cream sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does sound like the perfect summertime ice cream! I love that you used two different citrus fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You run, you ski, you make vegan ice cream. You're my hero! :D These flavors sound wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete