Monday, March 21, 2011

Banana Nut Granola


Today was one of those Mondays...my alarm went off at 6, which is when I am supposed to get up in order to workout before work, but instead of getting up I flipped it to 8:30.  My body was saying, no, you need to rest today instead, and I opted for a short afternoon workout later.  So I slept another 2 1/2 hours, and it was a really good thing I did because I at least arrived at work well rested and in a good mood!  Mondays are always busy, but this was one of the types of Mondays that give them a bad name!  It was so busy in the deli that I felt like I needed 3 of me, every time I turned around there was something else that needed to be done while I was still working on about 3 other things.  I can't say I was in the best mood when I got home today, I was tired and hungry and certainly did not feel like doing that workout I had put off earlier...I needed a breather.  So I decided to make some granola! 


This may sound wierd, but to me granola is comfort food.  It is crunchy, salty, sweet, and satisfying.  So before I went to work out, I made granola, because I knew it would be the perfect snack afterwards, and something yummy to look forward to!  I had bought a big bag of banana chips last weekend, and so I decided on Banana Nut granola.  I used my favorite granola nut mix of pecans, walnuts, and sliced almonds with a bit of coconut, and bit of cinnamon and nutmeg with a big glugg of vanilla.  It smelled so incredibly good while it was baking there was no way I could stay in a crabby mood, and I was soon feeling happy again!  Toasted nuts with a bit of cinnamon are afterall one of the most heavenly smells. 


I tried some warm fo course when it came out, but once it had cooled and the bananas and coconut were stirred in it was even better to enjoy after my workout!  The perfect balance of salty, sweet and crunchy...so satisfying!  If you have had a bad day, you must make some of this, it will make you feel so much better!  Or, share it with a friend, they will love you...not that they didn't already!  Here is the recipe if you would like some for yourself! 


Banana Nut Granola
Makes about 14 cups of delicious granola

6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups walnuts
2 cups pecans
2 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup maple sugar
1 Tbsp ground cassia cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups large flake coconut, toasted

3 cups dried bananas
Line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil, and spray with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 and set rack at the medium position. In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, pecans, and almonds, and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together oil, agave nectar, maple sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, and vanilla extract until well combined, then pour over oat mixture and toss to coat until completely blended. Pour out onto prepared baking sheet, and spread out evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes or so until the granola is evenly browned (you may need to stir more often as it gets closer to done. Remove from oven and let cool. Stir in bananas and coconut and enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I can only imagined how good this would be warmed. I usually have my granola warmed. My daughter calls it sawdust. Your recipe is light years away from sawdust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take it from a big granola fan, this looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the recipe and inspiration, Amy. I can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always viewed granola as a treat. Such a yummy snack. This looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect project for a dismal, rainy day! One of my guilty pleasures and I love all those nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love munching on granola - that is my late night snack, when I need one.
    This granola of yours look fantastic! almonds, walnuts, pecans...mmmmm....delish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh granola. that looks really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh granola. that looks really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm...it sounds like a banana-nut muffin in healthy-breakfast form!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This granola looks delicious! So many nuts in one bowl. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM, YUM & more YUM! wholesome goodness comes in your bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow does this look good.

    I just love everything that you included in this recipe.

    Thanks so much for another fantastic post and recipe! I have such fun reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this recipe!! I am always in need of a quick, healthy, homemade snack. This would go so well as a yogurt topping!

    ReplyDelete