Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lemon Poppyseed Cookies


We have all had them.  Those work days that you are so tired and crabby by the end that you just want nothing more than silence and relaxation the rest of the night doing nothing but enjoying a large glass of red wine (or a dirty martini in my case), and watch TV.  So...I had one of those this week, but instead of simply sitting down and relaxing, I decided to bake some cookies instead.  Baking is my therapy.  The heavenly scents that it fills my kitchen with, the process of creating something, then enjoying the delicious end result somehow always manage to put my mind at ease and wash away the crabby.  I decided to make a cookie that was sunny and happy looking because I needed it...


I had some extra lemon curd in my fridge that was just begging to be made into something delicious!  I made some lemon poppyseed shortbread flower shaped cookies, then filled them with the tart curd.  They were wonderful!  The flaky buttery sweet cookies with the silky lemony curd...they were simply heavenly! There is no way anyone could be in a bad mood after enjoying some of these!  I definately felt way better after devouring them!  If you need a little sunshine in your day, or would like to brighten up someone else's here is the recipe!


Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Flower Cookies
Makes 12
2 sticks Earth Balance vegan butter, at room temperature
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
1 Tbsp lemon zest
seeds of one vanilla bean
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup maple sugar, or granulated sugar
1/4 cup poppyseeds

Lemon Curd Filling:
3/4 cups fresh lemon juice
2 tsp organic lemon zest
1/2 cup maple sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
pinch of sea salt
2 Tbsp full fat coconut milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil
 
Powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with the rack set in the center. Mix all shortbread ingredients together (except pink sugar) in a large bowl until well blended, then between 2 sheets of parchment paper roll out to 1/4 inch thick.  Use a medium flower cookie cutter to cut out cookies, then use a small round cookie cutter to cut out the center of half of the cookies.  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, then put the baking sheet in the freezer to chill for 15 minutes. Remove from the freezer and bake for about 10-12 minutes until set and lightly brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, to make the curd, combine maple sugar, cornstarch, and sea salt in a medium pot, and whisk until combined. Add the juice and zest and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium high heat whisking constantly until thickened to a curd or pudding like consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla. Pour into a bowl, and let chill in the fridge until cold before using to fill cookies.  To fill cookies, place about a heaping Tbsp curd onto the side of each cookie without a hole that was facing down on the sheet pan, then top with a cookie with a hole in the center.  Dust the tops of the cookies with powdered sugar. 

11 comments:

  1. These are some happy cookies! Love lemon poppyseed anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunshine on a plate is a day-brightener for sure. So pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MORE gorgeous lemon delights...these make me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These made me smile! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! I'm in a lemon poppy mood this week too. I'll have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely don't think I could be in a bad mood after eating these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree... Lemon just seems to put a smile on my face!! These are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon anything makes me happy and those flower cookies are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable!!! Happy Spring =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just wondering how did I miss this post:)) I love love love how you made this! Beautiful and tasty..

    ReplyDelete