Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Cacao Nib Cookies


I wanted to make double chocolate cookies, but didn't have any chocolate chips or bars.  What I did have was cocoa powder and cacao nibs however!  I have fallen in love with the nutty dark chocolate flavor and crunch of cacao nibs as of lately, and I love that they are not overly sweet as a lot of chocolate is. 


 So I was still able to make my double chocolate cookies, they were just a different type of chocolate!  I love how cinnamon and chipotle go so well with dark chocolate so I decided to make these Mexican chocolate cookies!  Pine nuts also found their way into the mix to add extra crunch and richness besides the cacao nibs. 


The cookie dough was fabulous...I ate quite a bit in the process of shaping the cookies.  The dough that made it onto the pan to be baked and turned into cookies was wonderful strait from the oven while still very warm and brownie like! 


The mexican chocolate flavors intensified, as well as the toasty nuts and all of the dark chocolate goodness!  If you have always wanted to try cacao nibs in baked good this is a good way!  Here is the recipe if you would like to enjoy some deliciousness for yourself!


Mexican Chocolate Cacao Nib Cookies
makes about 2 dozen

Cookies:
1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan buttery spread at room temperature
1/2 cup soft silken tofu pureed
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup cacao nibs
1 cup toasted pine nuts

In a large bowl, combine buttery spread and coconut oil with sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the tofu, vanilla extract, and agave nectar until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined, then mix in cacao nibs and pine nuts, and place in the fridge to chill until firm (preferably overnight). To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 2 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly (but do not overbake!). Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.

10 comments:

  1. These look great, so rich and chocolatey. I don't bake with cacao nibs that often, always afraid they won't give enough chocolate flavor~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have cocao nibs left over from my freshman year science experiment! Otherwise it's hard to find them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had chocolate cookies for long while...those look so chocolatey and good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Cookies looks so beautiful and Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit that I've never tasted pine nuts before. Now that I've seen them prominently displayed in these yummy sounding cookies, I want some. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these cookies look delicious! I love your beautiful teal plate too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sad, but I've never tried cocoa nibs before. I must change this, and make your recipe ASAP! Thanks for sharing such a tempting chocolate treat, sweet woman. I hope you have a great Wednesday. Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spicy and chocolatey cookies sound awesome! I love the combo of flavors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your cookies, they look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good report .I just came across upon your blog along with wanted to disclose that I've thoroughly enjoyed browsing your page posts.After all I'll be subscribing to your rss feed as positively as I anticipate you write over soon!

    As a final note , give permission me thank you for your tolerance with my English as (I am positive you have figured this at this time ,), English is not my main tongue therefore I am utilizing Google Translate to figure out how to note down what I really have in mind to tell.

    ReplyDelete