Monday, March 7, 2011

Raspberry Almond Oatmeal Scones


Last week in the deli I work in, I was putting out some cookies I had just wrapped.  I was imagining to myself which one I would eat if I could have one at that moment.  I couldn't decide, but then my eyes rested on the blueberry oatmeal scones on the rack below the cookies.  I decided that the scones sounded about 100x better than any of the cookies, and came to the conclusion that I am more of a scone girl than a cookie girl! 
 

Overly sweet cookies are something I have to be in a certain mood to eat, but scones, with their subtle sweetness, flaky, yet cakey texture and crunch on the top...now those are always right up my alley!  Since I couldn't eat any of those scones at work, just day dream about them, I decided I needed to make some of my own which were equally as good last weekend! 
 
 
I decided on Raspberry with toasted almonds and oatmeal!  I love the texture oatmeal gives to the scones, making them a little more hearty, while still being light!  As for the berries, I had some frozen ones and I was craving some summer produce!  The almonds were to add a hint of toastiness and crunch! 
 

Scones are always so quick to throw together and that is what I love about them!  And they were baked in less than 1/2 an hour after I started making them, which I was very thankful for as I was taking in their heavenly aroma! 
 

They smelled like a raspberry crisp crossed with a vanilla cake with a hint of almond!  They were so wonderful to enjoy while they were still warm from the oven with the tart jammy berries!  Here is the recipe if you would like to experience them for yourself!
 
 
Raspberry Almond Oatmeal Scones
Makes 8

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup maple sugar, or granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold Earth Balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
1 cup regular rolled oats
1 cup cold full fat coconut milk (chilled in the fridge is best), mixed well
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 oz bag frozen raspberries
coconut milk for brushing
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 with the rack set at the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. Mix in the almonds and oats.  In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the coconut milk. Add the milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. fold in berries until evenly distributed. place dough on a floured work surface, and shape into a 4 inch wide log. Use a bench scraper to cut into trianges. There should be about 8. Place scones on the prepared baking sheet, reshaping slightly if necessary. Brush the tops with the coconut milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8

13 comments:

  1. Nice and healthy
    Sabby
    http://foodfunfreak.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raspberries, Almonds, Oatmeal = all favorites of mine! Why not throw it in a delicious, scrumptious scone? Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm as always your recipes are amazing! Love this one too! Awesome and looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These scones look delicious! I love that these scones have raspberries in them too b/c that's my favorite fruit. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on a roll with all these delicious recipes. You Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything that smells like a raspberry crisp AND a vanilla cake just has to get made! Thanks for sharing all this culinary goodness. I hope you sleep well tonight and wake up refreshed and ready to embrace the new day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these are delightful! I love how it's raspberry, almonds, and oatmeal. I can just imagine having one for breakfast each week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! Scones are one of my favorite baked good and you're totally right about adding oatmeal to them.. it's delicious! I've actually never used raspberries in them though.. I'm going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the scones! recipe looks great- thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made scones with oatmeal, but I will now! These sound excellent, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh these look amazing! I love your blog and would love to give you the Stylish Blogger Award. Thanks for all the deliciousness =) http://sneakyvegan.blogspot.com/2011/03/stylish-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious! I've just recently gotten into scones but I really enjoy them now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just made them, delicious! They were done baking by the time I finished the dishes... Some notes: 1) needed to use low fat milk in place of coconut milk but added 1/2 cup of shredded coconut, 2) added 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed to sneak it in there, 3) used 1 cup frozen raspberries, 4) important to toast almonds before getting started so they can cool down before adding to dough mixture, 5) brushed with milk and used cinnamon sugar as topping, and; 6) only needed to bake for 12 minutes... Easy, breezy, tasty and good for you! Thanks from Istanbul!

    ReplyDelete