Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shamrock Martini


Being that St. Patty's Day is in just a few days, I have been hearing a lot of people raving about "Shamrock Shakes" from McDonald's.  I remember having one as a kid, and thinking it wasn't THAT good...maybe a little more mint?  I guess I was a bit snobbish in that I preferred a grasshopper malt to one of those any day!  But hearing about the shakes so much, I remembered how refreshing the combination of mint and creamy vanilla could be, and I had the urge to make something using those flavors. 

Instead of a shake or malt however, I decided on a cocktail, fit for St. Patty's Day.  I used a vodka base, with coconut for creaminess.  I am not a huge fan of artificial flavors in my own creations, so creme de menthe was not included, but instead a bit of real peppermint extract, and vanilla agave syrup to sweeten.  It was wonderful!  So smooth, and just the right amount of mint to be refreshing!  And festive as well, since I decided to decorate the rim with cute little green sprinkles!  So much better than green beer as far as I am concerned!  Here is the recipe if you would like to experience the drink for yourself!


Shamrock Martini
Makes 1

4-6 large ice cubes
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
a few drops green food coloring
4 oz Prairie Organic Vodka
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
1 oz vanilla bean agave syrup*

In a martini shaker add the ice, vanilla, mint, vodka, coconut milk, and agave syrup, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a chilled martini glass, and serve!

*Vanilla Bean Agave Syrup: Combine 1/2 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup agave nectar, one vanilla bean (slit), and stir until agave nectar is dissolved.  Let sit until cool, then remove the vanilla bean and pour into a container.  Store in the fridge.

12 comments:

  1. Wow!! I must say, I have never been really into celebrating St. Patrick's Day. But... now all of the sudden, I am!! I am so making this on Thursday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If those are on the menu I could be Irish for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so fun! Great addition to the party! Thanks for sharing!

    <3Marea @TheFoodieFixx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's crazy delicious! I'm in love with this cocktail... brilliant idea! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great and it looks so festive! I love the addition of coconut milk. I have to say, I've never heard of a McDonald's Shamrock Shake--where have I been? lol Anyway, I would totally rather have this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful, Amy! Love how you garnished the rim :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this cocktail!

    It is absolutely adorable to look at and I really like that you incorporated your own vanilla bean agave syrup.

    Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks awesome! I love the mint and the coconut milk too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mint and coconut? Sounds fantastic. Love the trimmings and wish I could just reach into the screen for a sip! Looks warming and refreshing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just so happen to LOVE this idea! A refreshing drink now that it's getting much warmer around here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive only ever tried a mint shake from mcdonalds once and thought the same thing. This drink on the other hand, sounds like its right up my ally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your recipe is featured here:

    http://www.eastmesadesign.com/blog/homemade-vanilla-extract-recipes

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete