Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sweet N' Salty Honey Peanut Blondie Wedges


I often crave salty things more than sweet.  But salty and sweet together, now that is a heavenly combination like with salted peanut butter and honey!  I remember as a kid, my Mom would put peanut butter and honey sandwiches in my lunch.  Or she would put it on toast, and tell me that it was because she didn't like all the processed un-natural sugar in the jelly at the store.  It was delicious, and it is a combination that brings me back to childhood.  I used to love honey roasted peanuts as well, and now sometimes when I make sweet spiced nuts I use honey as the sweetener.  Today I was sitting on my break eating my tofu and raw beet salad, and for some reason I became really hungry for honey peanut butter toast.  Then I started thinking about the combination of honey and peanut butter and thought it would be really good in blondies! 


Even better with a little salty thrown into the mix with a little fleur de sel!  So this afternoon I got to work creating these salted peanut blondies!  I decided to bake them in a round tart pan to be different.


 They smelled wonderful while they baked, like honey filled peanut butter cookies.  But they tasted even better!  I had sprinkled fleur de sel on the top along with a bit of turbinado sugar for crunch and it was a lovely textural contrast to the soft sweet blondie! 


They were wonderful, peanutty, and a special sweet flavor that only comes from good quality honey.  And they are even better warm with a little ice cream.  Here is the recipe if you would like to experience them for yourself!


Sweet N' Salty Honey Peanut Blondie Tart
Makes 12 wedges

1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp local honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid
1/4 cup organic smooth peanut butter
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup organic coconut milk
1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 tsp fleur de sel
1 cup chopped roasted salted peanuts
turbinado sugar
fleur de sel

Heat oven to 325, and spray a 9 1/2 inch tart pan with removable bottom with non-stick spray.  In a large bowl, combine honey, coconut oil, peanut butter, vanilla, and coconut milk and whisk until smooth.  In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and  fleur de sel, and then mix into the wet ingredients until smooth.  Mix in peanuts until well combined, then pour into tart pan and smooth the top.  Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and  a little fleur de sel, and bake 20-25 min. until golden browned.  Remove from oven and let cool on rack.  Cut into 12 wedges. 

14 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love all the flavors in this especially the coconut milk. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is not to love about sweet 'n salty? Yummm! Happy (almost) weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMY, it's been two months since i hit your blog...tut tut

    lemme reach my hometown...i'll keep an amy day as much as i'm keeping a chef dennis day and boulder locavore day! haha

    so many wonderful goodies....

    ReplyDelete
  4. With salty peanuts..and PB and coconut milk.. sounds like a really delicious treat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, Yum, and Yum. I love that it has coconut milk in it. I will be sure to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love salty and sweet combos! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all about the sweet and salty combination! Good thing I just bought a whole pint of local honey - I can make plenty of these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You come up with some amazing combinations. Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, I also love sweet and salt so I just have to try this; what a surprising combination. It looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually default to caramel or chocolate when going for salty-sweet; I love the honey-peanut idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy, this is real delight and it deserves an award.... I have something for you, check it out http://mywanderingspoon.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/treats-and-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Amy
    the salty sweet tarts look delicious! I know my girls would love them, it would be a great dessert to teach them how to cook.
    cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! Love sweet AND salty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love peanut butter and honey together. What a great idea to make a blondie tart with those flavors. It looks and sounds sooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete