Monday, April 18, 2011

Lemon Cornmeal Strawberry Jam Filled Scones


 One of the things I enjoy most about running in the spring is passing by people's gardens in thier yards and seeing the first signs of life popping out of the ground.  Especially in the form of flowers.  It is a little early for tulips in my neck of the woods, but the lovely little yellow daffodils have arrived!  They look so cheery thanks to their bright color!  It is always tempting to pick some, but then nobody else would be able to enjoy them...plus it would be considered stealing and tresspassing. 

Flowers from my Dad's Garden 

I was thinking it would be cute instead to make some baked good into a yellow flower shape to enjoy.  Maybe I was just hungry, as I hadn't had breakfast yet, but I thought something cornmeal based would be perfect!  I find that there are very few people in the world that don't like cornbread or corn muffins in some form or another. I am no exception.  The sunny yellow color it has as well as the sweet corn flavor and wonderful cakey yet substantial texture make them so delicious.  I especially love the combination of cornmeal baked goods and lemon, or with berries.  I have made lemon cornmeal blueberry muffins in the past and loved them! 


So last weekend I thought that a lemon cornmeal scone filled with some home made strawberry jam would be delicious!  I decided to be a little creative this time with my scones and instead of simply shaping them into triangles, I shaped them like flowers, using my flower cookie cutter in honor of spring.  I didn't want to use all cornmeal, because I thought it might make the texture too heavy, so I used cornflower combined with cornmeal (which also makes them gluten free) to keep it light.  I laced the dough with lemon zest, and juice to give them a little zing, as well as a good amount of vanilla since I love its flavor in scones of any sort!  I filled them with my home made vanilla scented strawberry jam, to give them a touch of gooey sweetness as well as a nice surprise for anyone I shared them with!  I topped them off with a bit of turbinado sugar for crunch and poopped them into the oven.  I was a little concerned that the jam might ooze, or the flower shapes would spread but neither of those things happened and they came out perfect! 


They smelled wonderful, like sweet lemon cake!  I sampled one right away, and they were a bit delicate due to the cornflower, but firmed up nicely once cooled.  They were delicious!  Like the flavor of a lemon corn cupcake combined with the texture of a scone...then the oozy gooey sweet jam on the inside!  Heavenly!  These would be perfect at brunch but I wouldn't limit them to that.  I shared one with my Mom who is one of the few people in this world who doesn't like cornbread and she actually loved it!  I love changing people's opinions about foods...anyways, you should try these out as well, you will love them.  Plus they will bring a bit of sunshine to your day!  Here is the recipe! 


Lemon Cornmeal Strawberry Jam Scones
Makes 8

2 cups corn flour, plus more for dusting
1 cup medium grind cornmeal
1/2 cup maple sugar (or granulated sugar)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1 stick cold Earth balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
1 cup cold full fat orgainc canned coconut milk (whisked until smooth if chunky)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry jam (heaping) preferrably home made* but storebought is fine
coconut milk for topping
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 with the rack set at the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the coconut milk. Add the coconut milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy (if dough is too wet, add a little more flour). Place dough on a floured work surface, and pat down until 1/4 inch thick. Use a medium round cookie cutter to cut into circles (re-pat the scraps to make more). There should be about 16. make an indentation into half the circles in the middle and spoon about a heaping Tbsp jam into the center.  Top with the halves without the jam and gently press the edges of the scones so jam doesn't ooze out.  Use a bench scraper or large spatula to transfer scones to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops lightly with the coconut milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on pan until set, and remove to a wire rack.

*My jam recipe: http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com/2011/04/vanilla-scented-strawberry-agave-jam.html

13 comments:

  1. I love cranberry and lemon desserts! This looks delicious Amy:) I hope you have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Amy my mouth is watering; and what a cute shape for a scone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so divine! I just wish I had one right now. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a scone stuffed with jam before...what a great breakfast treat :) Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish i had a home with a yard:((
    i loved the cookies ,it really looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are just beautiful and can smell the lemony scents from here. Enjoyed that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so fun that you cut your scones into flower shapes. I've never baked with corn flour but this makes me want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm these scones look absolutely delicious!! I must try these myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scones looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always drool when I read your blog. This is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These have to be the prettiest desserts I have seen this season...what a great way to celebrate Spring! Thank you for sharing your sweet treat tonight. I hope that the end of your week is full of peace and joy. Your words make me smile, week after week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow those are so gorgeous! What a prefect scone to have during this Easter weekend...looks so amazing. I love how they are just ooozzzing with that gorgeous jam...yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything lemon is a big hit in our home and these look gorgeous and delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete