Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lovely Lady Martini


I appriciate being able to spend time with my Mom.  She is one of my best friends, and I love it when we can spend a Sunday afternoon together and go for a walk somewhere interesting and just chat about the past week, go windowshopping and enjoy looking at all of the interesting things, or have dinner and cocktails together since we enjoy the same type of food.  Last Sunday we decided to go for a walk and windowshop on Grand Ave. in St. Paul, and it was a lovely day!  We bought some spices at Penzey's, one of my favorite stores, because it smells the best, and also walked up Summit Ave. and admired all of the beautiful old Victorian houses and the spring flowers that were popping up in people's yards.  Quality time spent together, and that is the way it has always been between us.  It is the simple things that we both enjoy, and that includes a good cocktail.  My Mom often orders sidecars, and recently when we were at La Belle Vie in Minneapolis, she ordered a Citrus Sidecar which she loved!  I did have a sip of hers and it was good...but I am more of a dirty martini girl myself.  I decided to make my own version of a citrus sidecar, one which we would both enjoy, and came up with the "Lovely Lady Martini".  Named so because it is beautiful as well as delicious. 


It had a vodka base with 2 citrus notes, orange and lemon with a dash of vanilla, because I love the beautiful something extra it adds to a drink.  But I didn't stop there...instead of using my usual vanilla agave syrup and being ordinary I made lavander syrup this time!  I thought it would go well with the citrus and vanilla, and I was right!  My Mom was very skeptical when I first told her of the concoction I was about to mix, when I was explaining what the liquid with flowers in it ( the lavander syrup) in the jar on the counter was.  But after I had mixed the drink and we were enjoying it she exclaimed "This is BETTER than the drink I had at La Belle Vie!"  It was very good, light notes of lavander in slightly sweet citrus laced vodka...heavenly, and lovely. It would be the perfect drink for Easter or Mother's Day, and I have a feeling I will be making it again for both!  Here is the recipe for those of you who would like to experience it for yourself! 


Lovely Lady Martini (lavander scented citrus martini)
Makes 1

4-6 large ice cubes
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 oz Prairie Organic Vodka
4 oz fresh orange juice
1 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp lavander agave syrup*

In a martini shaker add the ice, vanilla, vodka, orange juice, lemon juice, and lavander syrup and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a chilled martini glass, and serve!

*Lavander Agave Syrup:

1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup boiling filtered water
2 tsp dried lavander flowers

Combine all ingredients in a clean jar and allow to sit for a few days to let the lavander infuse. 

10 comments:

  1. I'll take two please :o) Lovely drink, I really like the addition of the lavender. How unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Amy how did you know that I needed a cocktail right about now? I so love the relationshipn you have with your mom. I had the same thing with mine. I get the Penzy's catalog and they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm gonna need a few of those! They sound soooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous drink! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Susi - two over here please! No, seriously these look wicked good. And so pretty with the decoration on the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks terrific! And what a joy being able to spend a lovely afternoon with your mum - I'm homesick just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a cocktail that is both yummy and beautiful! Yours certainly qualifies...that orange twist is the perfect garnish.

    Glad you enjoyed some girl time with your mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend adores lavender flavored anything. I'll have to make this for a girls' night soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like such a delicious and refreshing drink! I can't resist anything with lavender syrup!

    ReplyDelete