Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mocha Pecan Shortbread Cookies


Working is always so much more enjoyable when you have fun people to spend the day with!  My friend Gabrielle who works with me at the deli always makes my day go faster, and not seem so much like work.  She is always making me laugh, and we have fun joking around while still accomplishing our cooking tasks.  I have known her for 4 years, and she is an amazing vegetarian cook!  She is one of my inspirations for vegetarian food, and we often bounce ideas off of one another for some sort of dish or another...or spend large amounts of time talking about delicious desserts we would like to make. 
 
 
It is her Birthday this week, and I wanted to make her something in the form of dessert.  But what to make?She is the biggest chocolate lover I know, so I knew that chocolate must be included this time!  Also, she loves good coffee, so I went with mocha! 
 

I added pecans, since she loves to include them in everything.  All of these flavors came together in an intense chocolate shortbread drizzled with even more dark chocolate!  I hope she loves them, because to me they are delicious with their deep chocolate coffee flavor, toasted nuts, and smooth chocolate drizzle!  I have included the recipe if you would wish to enjoy some too! Happy Birthday Gabrielle!
 
 
Gabrielle's Birthday Cookies
(Vegan Mocha Pecan Shortbread Cookies)
Makes 12 shortbreads

1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
2 Tbsp freshly ground good quality coffee beans
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 stick plus 3 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup maple sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp fleur de sel
4 oz vegan dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
 
2 oz vegan dark chocolate for drizzle

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, coffee, and baking soda.  In a large bowl, beat together butter, maple sugar, vanilla, and fleur de sel until light and fluffy. Mix in dry ingredients until well combined, and then the chocolate and pecans until well incorporated.  Turn out into a 10 inch tart pan with removable bottom, and press firmly into the bottom to the sides, and flat.  Score the dough into 12 triangles, sprinkle with turbinado sugar (press in) and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until set.  When done baking, score again, and cool on a wire rack completely before unmolding.  When cool, melt dark chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, and drizzle over shortbreads. 
 

18 comments:

  1. You made a great choice. How about I tell you when my birthday is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that she will be pleased and happy what you made..I would for sure! Amy this is really beautiful and can't say enough how tasty it looks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look and sound amazing! I bet she'll love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Love your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smile. I'm sure you have some great friends...how could you not? You are such a doll. This looks like a wonderful birthday treat for your sweet friend. Thank you for sharing your creative culinary explorations...you inspire me, and I'm glad to know you. I hope you have a blessed day tomorrow. Much love and hugs from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look festive and really delicious! Great for Bday or any other ocassion :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic. How do you get the chocolate drizzle so neat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my...you've taken shortbread to a new level!!! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky Gabrielle! and lucky us! Thanks for posting this delicious recipe. It's a great birthday idea, too. Adam never wants the same birthday cake two years in a row and challenges me every year to surprise him. I'll follow your lead for his next birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How could she NOT love these?!?!?!? They look and sound AMAZING Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty....and a wonderful mix of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does Gabrielle know how lucky she is?!? :-)

    Deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful recipe! I think of Pecan Sandie Cookies, but this would be a fun twist with the mocha:-) The pictures are gorgeous!
    Take care,
    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is magnificent! What a wonderful birthday treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK you've gone and done it. My Scottish boring shortbread will never be the same again. What gorgeously wicked combinations of the pecans, coffee with that choc drizzle...Gabrielle sounds like a fabulous friend to have and be able to work like that together with fun ambience is something to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cookie looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete