Friday, April 15, 2011

Vanilla Scented Strawberry Agave Jam



Although raspberry jam is my favorite as an adult, as a child I loved strawberry...which is still a close second.  Although my Mom always had raspberry jam, my Dad always had strawberry jam on hand at his house, I remember making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with him for our fishing trips we used to go on.  It was something simple that we could eat quick that wasn't too messy, and stored well.  I still think of those trips when I eat strawberry jam to this day!  I don't buy much jam nowadays, because I don't care for all of the refined sugar which is added to a lot of commercial jams.  But when I do buy it I get the fruit sweetened variety.  I came across an agave nectar sweetened jam recently, and decided to try hand at making it!  I didn't do the whole canning thing this time which intimidates me, I simply made refridgerator jam which is more accessable. 


I used frozen berries, since the fresh aren't available yet, added a little lemon juice, and a vanilla bean as well, because I love the scent of vanilla, especially with berries!  I just let it bubble away while I did other things, and my kitchen was filled with the wonderful aroma of strawberries!  When it had finished cooking and it was time to taste my mouth was filled with the pure essence of strawberry...sweet with a touch of lemon and scent of vanilla...delicious! Way better than any jam I have bought at the store lately!  It would be fabulous on toast, but I am planning on making a few delicious desserts in the near future using it.  I love that agave nectar is the sweetener instead of sugar and you certainly can't tell.  Here is the recipe if you wish to try some for yourself! 


Vanilla Scented Strawberry Agave Jam
Makes 2 cups

2 bags frozen strawberries 10 oz each
3/4 cups agave nectar
Juice of one large lemon
a pinch of sea salt
1 vanilla bean

Lightly blend strawberries, agave nectar, and lemon juice in blender (you want to keep it chunky). Pour mixture into a pot and add salt.  Slit the vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife, and scrape the seeds out.  Throw the seeds and bean into the pot.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour jam into an air tight container. Jam will store in your refrigerator for several months.

10 comments:

  1. Yay, Amy! This jam sounds really lovely and would go well with lots of things! I can't wait to see what you pair it up with :-) To this day, I enjoy having just Knott's Strawberry Jam on buttered toast and Welch's Concord Grape Jam on my PB&J's. Yeah... I'm odd like that, haha. Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the jam. Yours looks fantastic, texture and everything. Nothing better then home made. I made something similar, not quite jam this is more candy type of fruit but they are also delich....take a look.Thanks for sharing:)
    https://mywanderingspoon.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/manhattan-beach-farmers-market-homemade-carrot-soup-kumquats-bagel-shop/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Amy! I wanted to make my own raspberry jam, love that homemade goodness so much... This is really great recipe..thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the first time I've seen a jam recipe using agave. It looks really good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I'd love to have a bite of this jam! I always make jams before winter starts, but now I want to get in the kitchen and make your version... I really like that you included agave and the vanilla bean!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really lovely, Amy! Strawberry jam is one of my favorites. I can only imagine how love it must taste and smell with hint of vanilla! Totally delightful!
    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful this must be! I love the addition of vanilla and lemon. I find grocery store strawberry jams to be plain awful, but I know I'd love yours on my toast :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade jams are almost too easy not to make. This recipe looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love homemade jam. This looks just lovely.I love how you used a vanilla bean for the recipe. I bet it tastes amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I've never made jam before and have wanted to make one without all the sugar. I looked for recipes a while back, but didn't find one I really liked. I should give this one a try because it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete