Sunday, April 10, 2011

Vegan Strawberry Banana Scones


When I was a kid, strawberry banana yogurt was always a favorite.  In the deli I work at, the most popular smoothie involves none other than strawberries and bananas.  It seems that strawberries and bananas are a combination that is pleasing to many people's palates, making their taste buds happy!  Which is why this weekend I thought a strawberry banana dessert was in order! 


Now, of course I could have made a banana split, but that has too many other flavors and ingredients involved, so I decided that some sort of baked good such as a muffin, or a scone using simply strawberries and bananas as add ins would be perfect!  I have made banana muffins with berries in the past, but I guess I wasn't really in a banana bread or muffin sort of mood...so scones it was this time!


I have to admit it had something to do with one of my coworkers making scones on Friday, and how good they smelled and looked as they emerged from the oven.  Since I was at work and couldn't simly grab one, I made my own!  I tend to be biased and enjoy scones more than muffins because they are quicker to prepare and bake, and they have that wonderful crunchy on the outside, softer on the inside texture that I love! 


 I kept the othert flavors simple in theses, adding only vanilla in addition to the essentials wanting the flavors of the strawberries and bananas to be the stars!  They were wonderful!  Bursts of tart sweet strawberries and sweet bananas distributed throughout the sweet scones!  Especially delicious while they were still warm from the oven when the flavors are that much more intense!  Eating them reminded me of why I loved the strawberry banana combo so much as a kid, and had me thinking I should use it more often!  Here is the recipe if you would like some for yourself!


Vegan Strawberry Banana Scones
Makes 8

2 cups plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup maple sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold Earth balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
1 cup cold full fat orgainc canned coconut milk (whisked until smooth if chunky)
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 10 oz bag  organic frozen strawberries, cut into quarters or sixths if large
2 large organic bananas, cut into chunks
coconut milk for topping
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 with the rack set at the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the coconut milk. Add the coconut milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. fold in berries and bananas until evenly distributed. place dough on a floured work surface, and shape into a 4 inch wide log. Use a bench scraper to cut into trianges. There should be about 8. Place scones on the prepared baking sheet, reshaping slightly if necessary. Brush the tops lightly with the coconut milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown (after about 15 minutes you may need to reshape with 2 bench scrapers if the scones are spreading, then place back in the oven). Cool on a wire rack.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. I think I need to try these. They look delish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to make scones..you did fantastic job, they look awesome and so tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so moist! I usually fail at scones because they're too dry - these look super yummy, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These scones look amazing! Just made some strawberry banana muffins this past weekend... great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEEEE-LISH-USH! :D I actually have strawberry-banana yogurt in my fridge right now. These scones sound wonderful. And, um, why is coconut milk so wonderful!?! It's my favorite ingredient right now (I made a vegan banana custard pie today with coconut milk and thought of you... can't wait to share the recipe!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. how much lemon zest should you put in. And if you don't have easy access to maple sugar what substitution would you recommend. these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strawberry and banana is a wonderful combination (I'm thinking goeey, creamy sundaes right now, but scones work for me too LOL) They look totally scrumptious and now I want these for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous combination. I can imagine how they're moist inside. Can smell them from here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that combo also. Was thinking about making a parfait with them. Think I like your scones better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your scones looks so good! the turbinado sugar really does make a difference in appearance.
    strawberry banana yogurt was always my favorite, too!
    these look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! I love strawberries and bananas too, especially when combined. We have a road trip coming up and I think I'll make these to take with us. Such a great alternative to gas station food. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look very delicious! The colour underneath looks beautiful with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These were so wonderful! I cooked them like drop biscuits and they had the fluffiness of muffins. A will be making them again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They actually sell these at a Tea Place in Manhattan. They're absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete