Monday, May 30, 2011

Lovely Lavander Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


I am obsessed with lavander lately.  It has been finding its way into many of my dessert recipes, because I simply cannot resist the lovely purple flowers.  Can you blame me?  They have the most beautiful aroma which is soothing as well as calming.  Ever since I was a little girl when my Mom would make lavander soap from essential oil, or have dishes of lavander to scent a room, I have thought of the scent as comforting.  It wasn't until recently that I discovered how delicious it was when added to sweets, and I wish I would have discovered that earlier!  I should just plant a big pot of it on my patio for the fresh version to have an unlimited supply.  Until then I guess I am stuck with buying large amounts of the dried! 


I feel like the scent of lavander goes well with most fruits, and so last weekend when I was trying to decide which ice cream to make to accompany some fruit desserts I would be making I decided on lavander.  I know vanilla goes with everything as well, and I love it, but I was looking to be a bit more creative.  So lavander it was, but I didn't leave the vanilla out all together.  I decided to make a lavander AND vanilla bean ice cream.  I thought their delicate flavors would be perfect in a creamy coconut milk base, and I was right!  I infused some of the milk with a bit of the lavander, and let it steep overnight as well as adding some more lavander at the end to make it extra aromatic.  The vanilla and lavander together was a heavenly combination, and a perfect compliment to the strawberry rhubarb cake I had made, as well as delicious on its own.  It had a calming affect as I let the silky smooth ice cream slowly melt on my tongue...pure delciousness!  Here is the recipe if you would wish to try some for yourself! 


Lovely Lavander Vanilla Bean Ice Cream 
Makes about 4 cups of ice cream

3 Tbsp dried Lavander flowers, divided
1 cup lite coconut milk
2 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
a few drops purple food coloring (plant based), optional

To make ice cream, combine lite milk, and 2 Tbsp lavander in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and chill in the fridge until very cold. When chilled, combine with all ingredients except remaining Tbsp lavander in a blender, and process until well blended. Mix in the last Tbsp lavander, and pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

15 comments:

  1. If this is half as good as it looks it is a huge success!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lavender ice cream looks so creamy and delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds heavenly! I love the fact that it doesn't use any eggs in this. Coconut milk and lavender ... hmmm, this I gotta try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! It's made with coconut milk! Now, why do you use a light coconut milk and a full fat one? And Amy, I keep thinking about you and your recent lavender fest every time I water our lavender plant in the front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using lavender too! It's lovely in dessert,s and it must be great with the coconut milk! Your ice cream looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the smell of lavender but haven't tried baking with it yet. I've seen so many recipes for it, that I know many others feel the way you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh this looks AMAZING!!! Needed something to use up all this excess lavender - I can't eat any more fudge =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing, reminds me of the Honey Lavender Ice Cream in the movie "It's Complicated"! What's really weird, I normally would never have Lavender OR Vanilla Bean, but I have both in my pantry! I can't wait to try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word!! That ice cream looks beautiful! I've never had ice cream with lavender... I hope that I can find some at the market... I need to give this ice cream a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty and I can imagine how insanely gorgeous it smells.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so unique! Nicely done!

    I have an award waiting for you here: http://ravienomnoms.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/the-versatile-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This ice cream looks perfectly textured. I haven't tried cooking with lavender but the flavor sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I've heard of lavender ice cream but have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cheesecake just SCREAMS flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic idea! The picture is so delicate and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete