Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Miso Almond Brownies


I love miso so much I will put it in almost anything, savory or sweet.  Especially white miso, it has the most wonderful salty sweet flavor that makes it perfect for use in desserts!  I not have seen recipes for peanut butter cookies with it, and cobbler crusts, which I have yet to try.  I made a miso maple ice cream a while back and it was remenicent of salted caramel, so delicious!  I figured if it was awesome with vanilla based things, why not chocolate as well! 


Most people including myself think of vanilla as a blank pallate to pair flavors with, and chocolate often gets overlooked.  Brownies are a wonderful canvas to cover with interesting flavors...so I thought the salty sweet miso would be perfect in them.  Afterall, fleur de sel brownies are delicious because of the salty sweet combo. 


I wanted to add another element as well, and I decided that crunchy, nutty almonds would be perfect!  I used my vegan brownie base, baked it in a tart pan, because I love the look of brownie wedges, and topped it off with a fudgy miso laced frosting.  They were scrumptious!  Chocolaty goodness with crunchy almonds and a slightly salty flavor from the miso. 


You never would have guessed it was in there, but they just had that something extra special and mysterious.  I am loving miso more and more every different way I try it, especially like this!  I will have to do more chocolate miso experimentation in the future.  Here is the recipe for the brownies if you would like to experience them for yourself! 


Miso Almond Brownies
Makes 12 wedges

Brownies:
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp fleur de sel
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp white miso
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp pureed silken tofu
1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup sliced, toasted almonds

Frosting:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 tsp coconut oil
3 Tbsp white miso
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
a large pinch of sea salt

1 cup sliced toasted almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the rack in the middle position. Spray a 9 inch tart pan with non-stick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, sea salt and set aside. In a large bowl, place chcocolate and oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to melt the chocolate, until the chocolate and oil are smooth and well combined. Whisk in agave nectar, along with miso, vanilla, and tofu, and whisk to blend until well incorporated. Whisk in vinegar until well blended and there are pale swirls throughout the batter. Stir in 1 cup toasted almonds, and pour into the prepared pan and place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until set, starting to pull away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean. Do not overbake! Remove from oven, and tap pan on the counter to deflate (creating a fudgier brownie).  Let cool in pan on a rack. When cool, whisk together the frosting ingredients until smooth, and spread over the brownies.  Top with sliced almonds, and cut into 12 wedges. 

10 comments:

  1. These sound awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love miso soup but I have never thought to use it for much else, especially something sweet. I might have to look into this a bit more and expand my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never baked with miso. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These brownies look so delicious! I love how there's balsamic vinegar in your recipe too. Such interesting flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so creative! I would never think of adding miso to my brownies. Thank you for sharing with me tonight. You injected my day with creativity and beauty. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow, my dear friend! Hugs and love from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow another genius from you...perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent idea! These sure look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very curious about miso, I've never had it before. Round brownies are pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made a few of your recipes now,, you make them look sooo good AND they are! This one I topped with handful cocoa nibs and chia instead and didn't add any salt,,,would make again,,,<3 your pics!!

    ReplyDelete