Sunday, June 26, 2011

Banana White Miso Sesame Crunch Ice Cream


On Friday I had 3 bananas sitting on my counter.  They were looking like they were past their eating prime as I hadn't been home much last week to eat them.  Something needed to be done with them, because I am not one to waste any sort of food.  What do I do with my over ripe bananas?  Well most of the time I suppose I would freeze them for smoothies or just make banana bread.  However those options seemed rather boring to me.  Friday the weather was wonderful, the sun finally started to show its face after a few days of rain and clouds, and it was starting to heat up, so I thought it was the perfect day to make ice cream! 


Banana ice cream is always delicious afterall, and over ripe bananas are the best kind to use for it!  I didn't just want to make plain banana though.  I decided to add white miso for a salty sweet flavor base.  I had made ice cream with it before and it gives a flavor similar to slated caramel.  I also added some sesame seed brittle for crunch, a nice contrast to the smooth ice cream.  Both contributed a wonderful caramel flavor that paired wonderfully with the bananas! Perfect for the start of summer, and I was happy I didn't just make banana bread.  I guess there is never such a thing as too many bananas, because you can always find new delicious things to create with them.  If you have some over ripe bananas on your counter, try this recipe out! 


Banana White Miso Sesame Crunch Ice Cream
Makes 5 cups

Ice Cream:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
1 cup banana puree, chilled
2/3 cup white miso
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 tsp sea salt
sesame cruch brittle (recipe follows)

Combine all ingredients except brittle in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, stir in a cup of brittle, and pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results. Serve with more brittle if desired.

Sesame crunch brittle:
1 1/2 cups sugar
11 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup white sesame seeds, toasted

Lay out a sheet of foil sprayed with non-stick spray.  Place the sugar and sea salt in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and cook sugar, swirling the pan until melted and dissolved.  use a spoon to mix it a little once it is almost all dissolved to ensure uniform color.  Continue to heat until light caramel color, then add the sesame seeds stir in and remove from heat once it reaches medium caramel color.  Pour out onto foil and spread out.  Let cool completely then break into pieces.  Crush 1 cup of the brittle into very small pieces and reserve the rest to serve with the ice cream, or as a garnish for another fabulous dessert!

7 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty exotic to me, I have never had Miso. This looks pretty tasty and refreshing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just screams gourmets delight to me! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks amazing!! I love the flavors especially the sesame seeds. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some bananas on my counter right now. This recipe is looking pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderfully inventive ice cream! You again worked your magic in the kitchen...love the brittle addition for a little crunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used coconut milk. Also the miso and sesame are making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tasted Miso before and don't recall ever having banana ice crea. I"ve really got to get out more!!! Beautiful dessert Amy.

    ReplyDelete