Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chocolate Lavander Ice Cream Sandwiches


Remember when you were a kid and you used to get ice cream sandwiches at school, or picnics?  The ones with the soft rectangle chocolate cookies and the soft vanilla ice cream?  I am sure most of us have, and I know many people love them, but to be honest they were never my favorite.  I found the cookies too soft, and the vanilla ice cream too mushy and not vanilla enough, as I am sure it was artificial vanilla.  I haven't eaten one as an adult, never had the urge to. 


But I have seen gourmet ice cream sandwiches in various magazine's and on other's blogs and I was inspired to create an ice cream sandwich worthy to be devoured on a hot summer day!  I already had made some lavander ice cream last weekend so I decided to go with the flavor of lavander. 


I have made many things with vanilla and lavander, so I thought this time I would make some intense chocolate shortbread laced with lavander to sandwich the cookies together.  The shortbread was delicious on its own but even better with the lavander and vanilla scented ice cream!  The lavander flavor was so delicate, and when taking a bite I got the rich flavor of the chocolate cookies, and the subtle sweet smoothness of the cool ice cream, all of it was pure heaven!  Especially since it has been so hot in Minnesota lately, and a dessert like this is welcomed to cool oneself down! 


My opinion of ice cream sandwiches has forever been changed now that I know they can be made delicious!  Here is the recipe if you would like to make some for yourself!  I promise you will enjoy them much more than the ice cream sandwiches of your childhood! 


Chocolate Lavander Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes 8

Chocolate Lavander Shortbread:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 stick plus 3 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup maple sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp fleur de sel
2 Tbsp dried lavander flowers
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda.  In a large bowl, beat together butter, maple sugar, vanilla, and fleur de sel until light and fluffy. Mix in dry ingredients until well combined, and then the lavander until well incorporated.  Turn out onto a piece of parchment and roll out to a 1/4 inch thick.  Chill about 15 minutes and cut into hearts with a medium sized cookie cutter (you should have 16).  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and chill in the fridge until cold.  Transfer parchment and cookies to another (unchilled) sheet, and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until set.  Cool on the pan for about 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool.

Lavander Vanilla Bean Ice Cream:
 3 Tbsp dried Lavander flowers, divided
1 cup lite coconut milk
2 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
a few drops purple food coloring (plant based), optional

To make ice cream, combine lite milk, and 2 Tbsp lavander in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and chill in the fridge until very cold. When chilled, combine with all ingredients except remaining Tbsp lavander in a blender, and process until well blended. Mix in the last Tbsp lavander, and pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Pour into a freezable container with a lid and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.  You will have extra ice cream after making the sandwiches.

To assemble sandwiches, Spead ice cream on half of the shortbread hearts about an inch thick, then top with another heart and carefully but firmly press together.  Serve! 

9 comments:

  1. You're right about the cookies in storebought ice cream sandwiches being too soft. The heart shaped cookies are a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big lavender fan, too, and your heart cookies just make these sandwiches all the more lovely. May I have one, please? :)
    >>^..^<<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a grown up ice cream sandwich! And the hearts are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are these ice cream sandwiches?! I love the heart shape and how you used lavandar for both the cookies and ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will never get too old for ice cream sandwiches - but this definitely adds a layer of wonderfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was always a fan of ice cream sandwiches, but I know I'd love them even more this way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! Perfect presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm...perfect treat for this horribly hot weather...and beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete