Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lavender Scented Blackberry Coconut Pecan Scones


It seems like my life gets busier and more filled with things to do, unexpected expenses, and places to be all the time.  This week was filled with many appointments of some sort or another, unexpected bills, and of course work... and it was getting a bit overwhelming, or at least the thought of it.  I was feeling like I needed a little me time to unwind.  But one thing I have discovered is that when I am feeling like I am overwhelmed and need to relax, baking always does that for me.  Now granted I didn't have time to make something too elaborate, I always have time to make scones!  They are so quick to throw together and the results are always delcious no matter what the add ins. 


So on Tuesday, after getting home from work, another appointment, and going out for a stress relieving walk, I decided that some delicious scones needed to be made.  I spent my walk brainstorming wonderful combinations for ingredients.  I was rather indecicisive...but I knew I wanted lavander in the mix because of its relaxing calming aroma.  I had half a bag of blackberries to use up, so I included them as well, and some toasted pecans for a nice toasty crunch.  I threw in some toasted large flake coconut because of its lovely heavenly fragrance and because I just couldn't resist. 


They may have sounded at that point like an unusual combination, but it couldn't have been more right!  The process of making the scones was therapeutic, and the aroma of them baking was enough to make me happy.  Even better however was enjoying a warm scone fresh from the oven when it was just cool enough to handle.  The scent of lavander and toasted coconut, two of my favorite smells filled my nose as I took a bite into the light crunchy, yet soft scone.  The blackberries were wonderfully jammy, and the toasted pecans added a nice crunch.  So, at least for the moment I forgot all about what I had going on this week and enjoyed the experience of eating the delicious scone.  Here is the recipe if you would like to indulge in something therapeutic yet scrumptious...but you must have one right out of the oven for full effect! 


Lavender Scented Blackberry Coconut Pecan Scones
Makes 8

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup maple sugar, or granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick cold Earth Balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
2 Tbsp dried lavander flowers
1 cup toasted pecans
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup full fat coconut milk (chilled in the fridge is best), mixed well
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 oz bag frozen blackberries
coconut milk for brushing
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425 with the rack set at the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. Mix in the lavander, pecans, and coconut.  In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the coconut milk. Add the milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. fold in berries until evenly distributed. place dough on a floured work surface, and shape into a 4 inch wide log. Use a bench scraper to cut into trianges. There should be about 8. Place scones on the prepared baking sheet, reshaping slightly if necessary. Brush the tops with the coconut milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8

11 comments:

  1. Sitting here just looking at your images, I swear I smell lavender. I bet they taste amazing... and I do have fresh lavender so I need to try these. Wow! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a perfect scone, so flavorful and they are getting bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look divine-I like all three flavors here! This would be a great snack as well as breakfast treat. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unexpected expenses... I hate that. :) Happens all the time.

    The scones look amazing... I love the flavors, especially the coconut. YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate unexpected expenses too! These scones look beautiful. Love the flavors especially the lavender. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love. This. I made mine with blueberries I had left over and they were delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making these for father's day brunch! Thank you for sharing.If I can't get blackberries, what other berry do you think would go well with lavender? (Strawberries?) I will post on FB how they turn out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Therapeutic to make and to eat! You can't get any better than that!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful combination of textures and flavors...these look like incredible scones, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How gorgeous are these!? And I love that you've used coconut milk to make them vegan, sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your scones are lovely. I can imagine how good they smell.

    ReplyDelete