Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Little Lemon Scented Cherry Galettes


Today was one of those days. This morning I couldn't go for a run because my leg was in pain, I discovered that I had forgotten to put a large container of yogurt away last night and left it on the counter, and I spilled my entire pot of oatmeal ALL over the floor and had to clean it up...  although not running was a bummer, I had to laugh at the food mishaps because what else can you do sometimes when you make stupid mistakes.  Afterall it doesn't pay to get upset.  Work was super busy, more than it has been in a long time, and although I am glad we are getting a lot of business, I wish I didn't feel so drained by break time.  As I sat on my break today, I was wishing I was at home baking a cherry pie instead of working.  Why a cherry pie?  Well I had a large amount of delicious perfectly ripe cherries in my fridge, and was craving a summer fruit pie!  What could be more relaxing than making a pie at my leisure.  Taking my time to make the dough, roll it out, slowly pit the cherries one by one while munching on a few...then being able to enjoy the finished product with some home made ice cream, the best part!  It all sounded wonderful. 

Although my daydream couldn't completely come true, I made sure I came close to it!  A pie was a little more effort and more time than I had to commit to after work so I decided on some mini galettes instead!  Afterall, they have the same wonderful qualities of a pie, just quicker to make. I still went with the cherries, but decided to scent the galettes with lemon for a little something extra.  They smelled wonderful while baking, filling my kitchen with a light scent of lemon and sweet cherries.  But most importantly, I got to live my dream of enjoying a piece of warm jammy sweet cherries enclosed in buttery crust with some cool vanilla ice cream.  It was wonderful!  I love a warm dessert with ice cream, just melting and the contrast of hot and cold!  I guess today wasn't so bad afterall...bad days are never as bad as we make them out to be, and being able to laugh at your messes and mistakes can make them better!  If you have even just a little time, here is the recipe for the galettes if you would like to try them for yourself!

Little Lemon Scented Cherry Galettes
makes 4 small galettes

Crust:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp maple sugar
7 Tbsp chilled Earth Balance butter, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp organic lemon zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4-5 Tbsp ice water

Filling:
1 lb organic cherries, pitted and halved
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp organic lemon zest
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup maple sugar
pinch of sea salt

2 Tbsp Melted Earth Balance
Turbinado sugar

To make crust, combine flour, sea salt, maple sugar and butter in a bowl, and use a pastry blender to cut into the mixture until it resembles pea sized chunks (you can also use your hands).  Add zest, and vanilla and water and mix into the dough.  Knead a few times until it comes together (you may need to add an additional Tbsp more water).  Shape into 4 disks, cover with plastic and refrigerate until cold, but not hard.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.  On a lightly floured work surface, roll out each portion of dough to a 7-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick.
Place cherries, lemon juice, zest, vanilla, flour, maple sugar and sea salt in a large bowl and toss to combine. Arrange cherry mixture on top of dough on each round, leaving a  1 1/2-inch border all the way around. Fold border over the fruit mixture, overlapping where necessary and pressing gently to adhere the folds. Brush edges of dough melted Earth Balance, sprinkle with turbinado sugar, and bake until crust is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling, 40-45 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack to cool the galette. Serve warm or at room temperature.

12 comments:

  1. I've had mornings like this! Thank goodness for baking! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fabulous! I do hope your leg is all better

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Galettes are even more perfect, especially with the lemon flavor. You're absolutely right - bad days are never as bad =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, picking up on a bad day like that and finishing off with this lemon cherry beauty. Hope after that the leg felt better. Tell it to get its act together, since you've got running to do and more cherry galettes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delightful! I'm so into cherries at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really do hope that we have an abundance of cherries in the Philippines but from this side of the planet, all i can just do is drool over at yummy photos of cherry dishes and i must say, your cherry galette looks divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something delicious from the kitchen sure can brighten the day. I really like the idea of mini galettes and these look tasty with the golden sugary crust and juicy cherries. I have bookmarked these. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What adorable little galettes! I love cherry season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, how pretty!!! These look delectable, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am drooling! That looks amazingly delicious! I've always had trouble with galettes, probably due to having to use GF dough, they always fall apart on me and end up a sticky (albeit) delicious mess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous galettes, Amy...a delicious way to end the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll take a galette with vanilla ice cream please:-)

    ReplyDelete