Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Red Berry Cobbler with Toasted Coconut Biscuits


Food enjoyed in the company of those you enjoy is always better.  Eating a delicious dessert, sipping red wine, and sitting across from someone who causes me to smile is my idea of wonderful Saturday evening.  I was going over to my boyfriend Scott's house after he got off work, and I was bringing the dessert, he was buying the wine. But the question was, what to make?  I was thinking something warm that could be eaten with some ice cream I had just made.  Pie?  No, too much work with the crusts.  Crisp?  No, I had made that too many times lately.  Cobbler?  Yes!  We had a winner!  Now, I have to confess that I have only made cobbler one other time in my life and it didn't turn out all that fabulous.  The biscuits were soggy, and not that flavorful.  But then again, that was when I first started baking, so I wanted to see if I could create a delicious one now! 


That I had lots of ripe strawberries in my fridge begging to be used and frozen raspberries in my freezer, so I thought a red berry cobbler would be perfect.  But as far as the biscuit topping for the cobbler went, I browsed many recipes, not happy with the ingredients.  But me not being one to go by the books anyhow with baking, decided that my vegan scone base recipe would be a perfect topping!  It would remain light, yet be crunchy on top and not get too soggy.  Just the way a cobbler topping should be in my opinion.  I added toasted coconut to it, because I just couldn't resisit.  It finds its way into all of my crisps, so why not my cobbler as well? 


They turned out wonderful, and my second attempt ever at making a cobbler was a success!  The berries were tart, sweet and jammy.  The topping was fragrant with coconut and vanilla, cakelike, but crispy on top.  I topped it off with cool ice cream and it tasted wonderful the sweet silkyness of it melting slowly into the cobbler.  It all went very well with some Cabernet Savignon which was enjoyed alongside it.  But of course, even better than the crisp and wine was sitting across from Scott, who just makes me happy when I am in his presence.  There is a reason why this recipe makes 2 cobblers.  It is meant to be shared (although it could easily serve 4 if you have a small appetite...which I don't).  Here is the recipe if you wish to experience it, but be sure to share! 


Red Berry Cobbler with Toasted Coconut Biscuits
Serves 2 generously
Fruit:
2 12 oz pkgs frozen raspberries
16 oz fresh strawberries, quartered
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp lime zest
juice of one lime
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

Coconut biscuits:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup maple sugar, or granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 Tbsp cold Earth Balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
1/2 cup cold full fat coconut milk (chilled in the fridge is best), mixed well
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup toasted large flake coconut
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Two 5 or 6 inch wide ovenproof bowls or pie plates

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the rack at the center position. Place a baking sheet lined with foil on the rack. Spray two 5 or 6 inch wide pie plates or bowls with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss together the berries, agave nectar, lime juice and zest, vanilla, flour. Spoon into prepared bowls or pie plates, and cover with foil. Place plates on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until fruit is cooked through and bubbling.
Meanwhile, when the fruit in the oven is almost at 45 min, to make biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the coconut milk. Add the milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. fold in coconut until evenly distributed. Place dough on a floured work surface, and pat into a 1/2 inch tall circle.
Remove baking fruit from oven. Cut small hearts out of the dough using a cookie cutter, and place on top of the cobblers.  When all biscuits are on top of cobblers, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and return to the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes
until biscuits are cooked through and lightly brown and toasted on top (keep a close eye on they could burn very quickly). Remove from oven and let cool until warm, and top with some ice cream...enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. These look beautiful! I love how creative and unique all your recipes are. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I love anything with coconut milk and the berries just put this over the top! Definite try and definite buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cobblers! Definitely good call on making this one :) It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always a fan of cobbler. Those little hearts on top are so cute! I might have to gather some fruit and make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always succeed at making me drool, Amy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love recipes that were meant to be shared. Especially if they involve fruit! Now if only we lived closer...Thank you for sharing with me. Visiting your blog is a great way to start my morning. I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday full of good food and laughter. Hugs from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, your cobble looks and sounds great. I have not yet made any dessert involving fresh strawberries this year, we were too busy eating them fresh :)
    the coconut biscuits sound so good.
    Thanks for sharing, hope you're enjoying the summer time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, this cobbler sounds amazing... I really like those biscuits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cobbler with just the right amount of crunchiness. Scott sounds like a pretty cool guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks lovely! Berry season is in full swing and these crisps, cobblers and pies are all welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! I love how you made the hearts! The coconut biscuits sound interesting! I never was a fan of coconut, but have recently tried some things with it that were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coconut biscuits!?! Oh my gosh I want this right now. I loooooove cobblers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful biscuit look on the top. What a lovely dessert.

    ReplyDelete