Sunday, July 17, 2011

Arnold Palmer Ice Cream


As it is National Ice Cream Day, I thought that it was only appropriate to share a recent ice cream creation that I had made with you.  Arnold Palmer ice cream.  I came up with this flavor because when the hot days of summer arrive, my fridge always has to be stocked with a pitcher of the tea and lemonade combination.  It is a tradition that my Mom started a few years ago when we discovered how good Arnold Palmer made with Good Earth Original tea was.  It is so sweet on it's own that all that needs to be added to it is water and lemon juice, no sugar or honey needed! 


It is sooo good that last week I decided that ice cream base infused with the tea and flavored with the tartness of lemon would be better!  Afterall, when I think of summer I think of drinking Arnold Palmers and eating ice cream.  So I took my vegan ice cream base, let the tea steep in the coconut milk overnight and added plenty of lemon juice and zest to give it that pop of flavor that I love.   I suppose the tea/lemonade combination itself would make a wonderful granita, but I am more of a fan of creamy ice cream than slushies.  


It was wonderful!  The Good Earth tea gave it such a delicious background of spices that paired wonderfully with the refreshing lemon in the creamy coconut milk base.  I enjoyed a large amount last night and it so incredibly cooling and just what I needed after being outside in 90 degree humid Minnesota heat.  Do yourself a favor and make some ice cream today!  Or if you don't have an ice cream maker...go buy some!  Happy National Ice Cream Day! 


Arnold Palmer Ice Cream 
Makes 5 cups

Ice Cream:
1 cup lite coconut milk
6 Good Earth Original tea bags
2 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
Bring the lite coconut milk to a boil, pour into a glass measuring cup and place tea bags in it to steep.  cover and let sit overnight in the fridge.  Squeeze liquid out of tea bags back into the measuring cup, and discard bags.  Pour into a blender along with all other ingredients and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

17 comments:

  1. I`ve never heard of an Arnold Palmer drink, but I`m a huge fan of the golfer, so thank you for introducing me to this favourite bevvie of the legend himself. I have no doubt he`d also enjoy a scoop or two of this ice cream! Looks great...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long live national ice cream day!! Your ice cream sounds so so good! Delicious flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I never would have thought to make Arnold Palmer ice cream, but I'm sure glad you thought of it. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool flavor for ice cream!! It looks awesome Amy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect way to celebrate National Ice Cream Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful, frosty scoops of deliciousness! Perfect for today~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful flavor for ice cream, it sounds amazingly refreshing for summer! HAppy national ice cream day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So awesome Amy! I've been working on a recipe for an Arnold Palmer cake... I'll let you know when I 'perfect' it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, this would be a fabulous sorbet as well! I love arnold palmers, and putting them into ice cream form is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect treat for the British Open weekend! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever recipe! Can't believe I missed national ice cream day - maybe I'll celebrate it a day late! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a lover of iced tea (and all things tea) I approve. Love tea in ice cream, however I can get it, haha. Happy (belated) National Ice Cream Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so new to me, as haven't heard of the Arnold Palmer, nor National Ice Cream Day. I love how in the States you always have an excuse to celebrate :-)
    Love the flavours in that ice cream - sounds so refreshing. Now if you could just blow over some heat our way, that would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy, did you know that I am an Arnold Palmer Girl? Oh yes, it's my drink. I'm definitely known as the Arnold Palmer girl in some restaurants that I frequent :-) It's such an incredible balance of flavors, you know? Of course YOU know ;-) Thank you for making an ice cream of a drink that I absolutely love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds great! Perfect for a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Arnold Palmer is so refreshing, this is such a great idea for summer. I also can't get over how perfect those scoops are!

    ReplyDelete