Friday, July 15, 2011

Birthday Cake Martini


Today I am 26 years old, but I don't feel a day over 18.  Which is fine because I refuse to get old, and I never want to be boring. I decided that today I wanted to take a day for myself, and just relax, get a haircut, a massage, and bake myself a Birthday cake.  Afterall, I have the whole weekend to celebrate with friends and family, since we all get a Birthday week right?  Which is exactly why I took a week vacation from work.  It is a good thing I didn't have any outdoor activities planned until the weekend, because today it was raining all day with hardly a dry moment.  The perfect day to stay indoors and bake a cake however.  I decided to bake myself birthday cake to enjoy with family and friends tomorrow, which will appear on my blog later, but I did have some Birthday treats today as well.  While the cake was in the oven, I thought, why not make a Birthday martini. 

I normally don't go for the overly sweet ones, but hey, it is my Birthday!  I wanted it to be the essence of classic Birthday cake, sweet and lots of vanilla flavor with a hint of almond, since in my family my Mom and Grandma always put a little almond extract into vanilla sweets.  I garnished it with colorful nonpareils, because who didn't love sprinkles on their Birthday cake as a kid? 

It was delicious as well, sweet and fragrant with vanilla and almond, smooth from the addition of the creamy coconut milk remeniscent of vanilla frosting...it was heavenly!  It was grown up, but had a playful element as well, sort of like me!  Just because you are 26...50...or even 75, it doesn't mean you have to feel like you are! 

Birthday Cake Martini
Makes 1

For rim:
2 Tbsp nonpareils
1 Tbsp agave nectar

4-6 large ice cubes
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 oz Prairie Organic Vodka
1 tsp pure almond extract
2 Tbsp vanilla bean syrup*
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk

To make rim, spread nonpareils out on a small plate. Coat the rim of the martini glass with the agave syrup by dipping it into it on a plate, then dip the agave coated rim into the sugar and set aside. In a martini shaker add the ice, vodka, almond extract, vanilla bean syrup, and coconut milk, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a chilled martini glass, and serve!
 
*Vanilla Bean Syrup:

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup agave nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in agave nectar and vanilla beans, until nectar is dissolved. Chill well before using in drinks. Makes 1/2 cup syrup

25 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Would love a martini like that one on my birthday :) Speaking of cake flavored drinks, have you ever tried a "wedding cake" shot? I think it's vanilla vodka and pineapple juice (and maybe one other ingredient I can't remember). It tastes shockingly like cake! Amazing, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! This drink is a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday! That martini sounds delightful, I love the sprinkles on the glass...

    cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Amy!! I hope it's been wonderful. I will try not to think about the fact that I have a son only a year younger than you :-P

    Also also (kinds like p.s. and p.p.s. :-P ) I really really want that martini. that is totally adorable... and totally buzzed :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I love the sprinkles... and want one of these!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohhh...I hope I remember this little drink next time a birthday rolls around! Which, I think is mine but it's in January! I think I'll make myself a reminder note on my phone! ; )

    I have about 100 recipes of yours I want to try...however my trainer wouldn't like me trying them at all so at the rate I'm going, I'll be 60 before I get to try even 20 of them! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthaday Amy!!! Your drink look amazing ....you look fantastic and I do wish the best year ever!!!!!cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to you, Amy! I hope you had a marvelous day :-) It's my boyfriend's birthday, too, so, now I'll remember yours forever and ever :-) I hope your vacation will be stupendous! Drink up and eat up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy Birthday! You chose a nice way to celebrate with this unique martini.I really like the flavors-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I am your new foodbuzz friend and I must say that you have a great blog with droolworthy recipes. Following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday for yesterday. Have a happy birthday week! Can you believe I am 54 years old and have never ever tasted a martini!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday! This is exactly how I would want to celebrate. It's the best looking martini I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you had a great birthday, and you happen to share the same birthdate as my country's Sultan! So cool... Anyway, I'm 44 but don't feel older than 26 so I can relate to how you feel. And I know you're young at heart because this birthday martini looks creative, flavorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! And looks like you're celebrating in style with this awesome martini - might have to pretend that today is my birthday so I have an excuse to whip this up =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Martini is gorgeous!! Hope you are celebrating BIG this weekend! :)

    P.S. In my head I will always be 23... my driver's license says I'm 33...whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! I love the sound of a a cake-flavored martini and the sprinkles on the rim make for such a cute presentation. This has got "birthday" written all over it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAPPY birthday! This martini looks and sounds awesome! I love the coconut milk-almond-vanilla combo! I hope you have a great week and I can't wait to see what cake you baked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh la la....this looks and sounds fab! It's 9:00 am here so I don't think its too early to try this out? :) Hope your birthday was great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated Birthday to you, Amy. I adore the look of your martini cocktail and that frosting on the glass it just amazing and fun. Makes me think of my 9th birthday: Mum decided to do the same kind of thing on the glasses for the kids coming around to be "posh", although she just used sugar. One of my friends asked if she could have her glass changed as it was "dirty". Mum should have used your idea with the colourful decor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Belated Happy Birthday, hope you had tons of fun. You definitely had a perfect drink. Wishing you many more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the cutest drink I've ever seen. How creative! Hope you had a wonderful birthday and I hope to try this recipe when my birthday rolls around, ahhhh to be 26 again, you lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made this recipe for my brother's suprise bday party. It was a hit...thank you for sharing this recipe. I posted the recipe on my blog with a link, naturally to your blog.
    Sandrine
    http://sandrinesmusings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so adorable! I love the sprinkle garnish. I've just pinned this to pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous vegan birthday martini! The sprinkles are too cute too! We Love This!! We just had to include this in our round up of Birthday Martini Ideas! http://blovelyevents.com/2013/08/20/birthday-martinis/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I will check it out!

      Delete