Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chilled Piña Colada Soup


When my Mom told me she had a sore throat this morning, I thought it might be nice for her to have something cool and soothing to eat.  It is a hot day and even if she weren't feeling under the weather, we both couldn't imagine eating or drinking anything hot this morning.  I had some leftover pineapple juice and coconut milk, so I thought immediately...Piña Colada!  Not the overly sugared alcoholic drink though, a chilled soup sweetened with the fruit itself! 


So I added a banana I also had, a dash of vanilla, and a little cashew butter, and voila!  A tropical sweet healthy treat fit to sooth a sore throat as well as put a smile on anyone's face who wasn't feeling well.  Mom loved it, and that was the most important part! 


I have to admit, it was rather refreshing and I will have to make it again when I am feeling like a healthy dessert or last course with a tropical note.  It is super simple, but that is what is best about it!  No need to slave over a hot stove or oven for something delicious in this hot weather!  Here is the recipe if you would like to try some as well! 


Chilled Piña Colada Soup
Serves 2

Soup:
1 small banana
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup coconut mik
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cashew butter
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp lime juice
pinch of sea salt

additional coconut milk for garnish
toasted large flake coconut for garnish

Place all soup ingredients in a blender (except garnishes), and blend until smooth.  Pour into 2 bowls, and top with a little coconut milk, toasted coconut and mint leaves for garnish. 

10 comments:

  1. It was sweet of you to make this for your Mom. I'm sure she felt so much better afterwards. I like this and would make it even If I feel fine. So tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very refreshing. I hope your mom is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! This looks absolutely delicious! Your mom is a lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your mom is feeling better Amy :-(

    As for the soup, what a neat idea! I'd probably forgo the nut butter just on personal preference but the rest sounds so so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Mom is feeling better and what a blessing you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting and innovative dish.
    And I hope your mom feels better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best feel better treat ever! Stand aside chicken soup. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOw, what a great soup! I wish I had pineapple now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks super refreshing! I hope your mom is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish looks so refreshing and tasty! Love all the flavors too!

    ReplyDelete