Thursday, July 21, 2011

Honeydew Martini



Nothing says summer like cooling honeydew melon.  It is so fragrant with its sweet, almost floral aroma when you cut into it's pale green flesh.  When I was little I remember my Mom saying that her favorite summer "smoothie" was just blended up plain melon, no sweetener needed.  I think she was onto something.  I had a honeydew sitting on my counter, and just begging to be eaten.  However, as much as I love it plain, I thought it would make a lovely pale green martini to refresh me on a hot smmer afternoon. 
I also had some fresh mint and lemons which I thought would pair nicely with the sweet fruit.  I used a gin base, because I thought the fragrant liquor would complement the melon well, and added a bit of amaretto for something special. 

I love being able to create my own drinks and experiment with flavors of seasonal fruits, it is so much better than traveling somewhere to buy an expensive drink.  Although, I would have paid $12 for this if I had seen it on a drink menu...it was delicious!  It was just the right amount of sweetness from the melon, the scent of citrus, florals and almonds whafting up to my nose as I drank it.  So refreshing and so heavenly as only fresh melon can be.  If you haven't gotten your hands on honeydew this summer, go get some, and better yet, try out this drink! 
Honeydew Martini
Makes 1

4-6 large ice cubes
6 fresh mint leaves
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 oz Gin
1 oz amaretto
2 oz strained honeydew melon puree 
2 Tbsp honey syrup*
1/2 oz lemon juice

In a martini shaker add the ice, and muddle with mint, then add gin, amaretto, melon puree, honey syrup, and lemon juice, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a chilled martini glass, and serve!
 
*Honey Syrup:

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in honey, until it is dissolved. Chill well before using in drinks. Makes 1/2 cup syrup

9 comments:

  1. I love honeydew but have never had a honeydew martini. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely drink and lovely presentation! I like the addition of mint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of using Honeydew in a drink before, but since I like them so much-I imagine that this tastes wonderful. Great summer drink-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so refreshing! (eat your heart out James Bond). Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We usually end up with some honeydew in our CSA - so when we do, I'll definitely be keeping this martini in mind =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty color for a drink! Still have to have that first martini in my life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so good I'm speechless. All I can do right now is buzz you.

    ReplyDelete