Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lemon Berry Cake






Red and Blue...berries that is!  I cannot go the whole 4th of July weekend and not make a dessert with berries!  It is a tradition in my household that some sort of dessert with berries be made for the 4th, ever since I was a little girl.  My Mom started the tradition, making a frozen dessert using berries that looked like an American flag and later berry topped tarts with lemon cream cheese filling.  Every year we have always had something red white and blue. 


So this year I decided to continue the tradition and make something of my own completely different, except for the use of the brightly colored red and blue berries!  I wasn't sure what to make at first, I just picked up a large amount of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries at the store, and finally decided that I was in the mood for cake...studded with lots of tart and sweet berries! 


Not just vanilla cake however, tart lemon scented cake!  I love the combination of lemon and berries in the summer, it is so wonderfully refreshing!  The cake was easy to make, no frosting needed, and beautiful when simply dusted with a bit of powdered sugar and fresh berries.  Very rarely do I dress a cake this way, since I am usually over the top when it comes to frostings and fillings, but this time, the simplicity was just so delicious! 


The tart light, but moist cake was studded with a mosaic of red and blue tart and sweet little jammy pops of berry flavor, and more delicious than I could have imagined!  I served it with a litte vanilla ice cream, as it was a hot evening, and it was perfect!  My Mom, who I shared the cake with approved as well, telling me she enjoyed it even more than the berry desserts we had enjoyed on the 4th in the past.  Now if only I had made a bigger cake, as this one has long been devoured.  If you wish to make a larger cake than my recipe for entertaining, you can double this recipe and bake it in a 9 inch round cake pan (just lengthen the baking time).  Happy 4th of July weekend, I hope you all are enjoying your own traditions! 


Vegan Lemon Berry Cake
Makes one 6 inch cake

1 6 inch round cake pan

Cake:
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup maple sugar or granulated sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup blueberries
3/4 cup quartered organic strawberries
3/4 cup organic raspberries
Powdered sugar

 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and position rack in center of oven. Spray one six-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a large bowl to blend well. Whisk sugar, oil, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, together in small bowl to blend well, then whisk into the flour mixture until well blended. Stir in berries (reserving about 3/4 cup).  Scatter the 3/4 cup berries into the bottom of the prepared pan, then pour cake batter into the pan over the berries, and bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Cool cake for about 15 minutes in pan then place a plate on top, hold firmly and flip over to unmold, then carefully flip to right side up onto another plate.  Let cool before serving and dust lightly with powdered sugar.

*if desired, you cake double the recipe and bake the cake in 1 9 inch round pan, and give it additional time to bake, about 15-20 min.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Perfect for the 4th! Have a great holiday Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, this is a seriously beautiful cake you have here! I love the emphasis of berries and following your mother's tradition. Be sure to have a holiday full of sparkle, family/friends and good food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i shall say that this looks berrylicious and perfect for the 4th. Have a great holiday. Buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with keeping the tradition alive! This berry cake sounds absolutely delicious! The perfect way to celebrate the 4th =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful! I'd love a huge slice:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome cake, Amy! I'm sure it was a huge hit over the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear your food is too pretty to eat...there must be a collective 'awwww....' when someone takes the first bite because everyone's so sad to see it get eaten. Just curious, is there a recipe you have that's the most popular?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I don't mind tearing into the food, I am so eager to eat it ;)! Well, the 10 most popular recipes are posted on the side of the page...but, my favorite lately are the raw cheesecakes.

      Delete
  8. I made this cake yesterday for a 4th of July BBQ, but I decided to try quadrupling the recipe to make a large layer cake. I think I got the proportions correct (actually used slightly fewer berries, if anything) and it was indeed very tasty! BUT... just a warning for anyone else who would think about doing a big cake with it... I don't recommend it. It was far too dense and moist to hold up well. The layers didn't release from the pans well, even though I had used nonstick spray. Maybe I should have also lined with parchment. Also, the weight of the top layer kind of squished the bottom layer after awhile! I had enough batter that I also made 6 cupcakes in addition to the 2 9-inch layers, and the cupcakes were really fantastic and cute with just a few small frosting "leaves" on top with a couple more berries. My lesson learned: don't try to make a cake be something it's not! It was definitely best in small form as you originally created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this would not be a good candidate for a layer cake, I have learned the hard way that mixing berries into batter for a layer cake is a bad idea...I had the same thing happen as you did ;)! Bravo to you though for trying to attempt it :)! Hope you had a wondeful BBQ :)!

      Delete