Sunday, July 24, 2011

Vegan Gorilla Cookies

When I was little I was scared of gorillas.  I think I remember crying when the gorilla at Chucky Cheese came out to sing, and at the Zoo, being frightened by the humongous ape pounding on the glass across from me.  I have since gotten over my fear and now I find gorillas to be quite comical.  I was at Como Zoo last week with Scott, and found it quite amusing to watch the primates.   They are so comical and they don't even realize it...or maybe they do, hamming it up for the visitors watching them from across the fence.  Either way, they can get away with doing things that would be considered unacceptable if humans did them in public which is quite funny.  So, why the random post on gorillas? 


Well, it all has to do with some delicious cookies I made on Friday.  I had made some a couple weeks ago called "Chunky Monkey Cookies", containing bananas, almond brittle and chocolate chips, and they were so good that I thought I would try another take on them. 


A vegan banana chocolate cookie base filled with chunks of crunchy pecan brittle and dark chocolate chips.  In contrast to the "Chunky Monkey Cookies" they looked like gorillas due to the decadent dark chocolate and the fact that they had morphed into something larger...I am a sucker for big cookies.  


I have to say the dough was wonderful...I enjoyed way too much of it while I was shaping the cookies to be baked.  I probably looked like a gorilla all primative eating the dough and not caring if I had it on my face and hands. It was fudgy and chocolaty, and I could have eaten it as was, but then it wouldn't have been cookies would it?  They smelled wonderful while baking, like brownies with praline. 


They were delicious warm with the chocolate chips all gooey and the brittle all nutty and crunchy and salty in the soft banana chocolate base. They were very addictive!  So I decided that I needed to share some, and those I shared them with seemed to agree with me.   I have included the recipe so you can enjoy them as well!


Vegan Gorilla Cookies
(chocolate banana cookies with salty crunchy pecan brittle and chocolate chips)
makes 1 1/2 dozen

Cookies:
1 cup maple sugar, or granulated organic sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance vegan buttery spread at room temperature
2 medium well mashed very ripe organic bananas
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp maple extract
1/2 tsp banana extract
1/2 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp fleur de sel sea salt
1 12 oz bag vegan chocolate chips
2 cups pecan brittle*, chopped
1 cup sliced toasted pecans
In a large bowl, combine buttery spread and coconut oil with sugar and beat until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the bananas, vanilla extract, almond extract, banana extract and agave nectar until well combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined. Mix in the chocolate, brittle and pecans, and place in the fridge to chill until firm. To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 2 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 15 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.

Salted Pecan Brittle:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups sliced Pecans
Fleur de sel

Lay out a piece of foil and spray with non-stick spray.  Heat sugar over high heat in a non-stick skillet with 2 tsp sea salt, until sugar begins to melt.  Stir with a rubber spatula to evenly melt sugar and add pecans.  Stir to coat, and pour onto foil, spreading into a thin layer.  Sprinkle with fleur de sel and let cool completely.  Break into pieces (very small if using for cookies).

14 comments:

  1. I was afraid of gorillas also. When I was little someone dressed up like a gorilla and really scared me. I love your cookies and what a great way to get rid of the extra bananas laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All around YUM! And random... this is the second reference to Chuck E Cheese I've read in two days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last comment was me... I'm having MAJOR computer issues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a amazing recipe for cookies..I love your pictures and fun post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hai Dear

    This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog… You have so many wonderful recipes..I have bookmarked you blog and some recipe from that to try..Please check out my blog.I am having a Giveaway in my blog..Please check it out and partcipate in that..
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/07/homemade-bounty-chocolate-and-giveaway.html

    Aarthi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you named these decadent beauties :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether they are chunky monkeys or gorillas, they look like they are right up my alley :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorilla cookies is the perfect name! They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monkeys and gorillas and some over the top cookies! Thank you in big ol bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are about to be my new favorite cookies, I can feel it! All of my favorite things, in one cookie! I'm sure this will be the star dessert at our next movie night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smile. I always had a fondness for gorillas. That fondness will increase even more now. Thank you for sharing these delicious cookies, my friend. I'm hungry and wishing I could have THIS for dinner. Blessings and love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete