Thursday, July 28, 2011

White Peach and Rainier Cherry Cobbler with Lavander Scented Almond Biscuits


The white peaches seem to be extra heavenly this year.  Their light and sweet subtle flavor is like no other stone fruit.  It was sort of a random thing that I ended up with a bunch of them, because last weekend as I was making my way around the produce department they were the only type of peach or nectarine that was very ripe and ready to be used in a cobbler right away. 


I was planning on making one that afternoon to take over to Scott's to enjoy for dessert later that night, and I wanted the sweetest ripest fruit possible, not some that needed to ripen for a few days.  Once I got them home and tasted one, I was glad I had bought them, as their flavor was so different than regular peaches, more sweet and light.  Their blush reminded me of the beautiful rainier cherries that I also had on hand, and so I decided that they would be perfect paired together in a cobbler.  So that was what type of cobbler I decided must be made.  But the two blushing heavenly fruits needed a proper lightly scented biscuit topping, so I decided a bit of toasted almonds and a bit of lavander would be perfect! 


The cobblers baked up beautifully, and smelled wonderful when I pulled them out of the oven.  Of course I had to wait to taste them until I was able to enjoy them with Scott later, but it was well worth the wait.  The jammy peaches and cherries had a beautiful sweetness and the dash of vanilla and lemon I had added was the perfect touch!  The biscuits smelled of lavander, and had the crunch of toasted almonds, perfect with the sweet fruit layer.  I served them warm with a bit of ice cream I had made and they were delicious!  I love a warm dessert with cool ice cream to top it off, so comforting, especially when shared!  If you have access to white peaches and rainier cherries, you must try this!  Here is the recipe so you can enjoy it! 

White Peach and Rainier Cherry Cobbler with Lavander Scented Almond Biscuits
Serves 2 generously

Fruit:
6 medium organic white peaches, cut into bite sized pieces
16 oz fresh organic rainier cherries, quartered
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp lemon zest
juice of one lemon
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

biscuit topping:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup maple sugar, or granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 Tbsp cold Earth Balance vegan butter, cut into chunks
1/2 cup cold full fat coconut milk (chilled in the fridge is best), mixed well
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 Tbsp dried lavander flowers
1 cup toasted sliced almonds
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Two 5 or 6 inch wide ovenproof bowls or pie plates

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the rack at the center position. Place a baking sheet lined with foil on the rack. Spray two 5 or 6 inch wide pie plates or bowls with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss together the fruit, agave nectar, lemon juice and zest, vanilla, flour. Spoon into prepared bowls or pie plates, and cover with foil. Place plates on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until fruit is cooked through and bubbling.
Meanwhile, when the fruit in the oven is almost at 45 min, to make biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla and almond extract into the coconut milk. Add the milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not overmix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. fold in lavander and almonds until evenly distributed. Place dough on a floured work surface, and pat into a 1/2 inch tall circle.
Remove baking fruit from oven. Cut small hearts out of the dough using a cookie cutter, and place on top of the cobblers.  When all biscuits are on top of cobblers, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and return to the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes
until biscuits are cooked through and lightly brown and toasted on top (keep a close eye on they could burn very quickly). Remove from oven and let cool until warm, and top with some ice cream...enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. This really looks like a great summer dessert! I rarely come across white peaches, but I will keep an eye out. Nice presentation and delicious flavors-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read the title I thought, this just keeps getting better and better! Seriously. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peaches and cherries sound like an amazing combination! It's just a shame rainier cherries are so expensive here, I've never felt like I could buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so into cherries at the moment - this is bound to be a hit. It's in my keeper file!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great Amy! Now to see if I can find rainier cherries

    ReplyDelete