Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Maple Balsamic Champagne Grape and Peach Crisp


If you were to ask me whether I would rather have a fruit pie, crisp, or cobbler, I would say crisp about 90% of the time.  I have to admit, it is my favorite of the baked fruit desserts and has been since I was a kid  I can remember coming home and the house smelling of warm spices and apples and an apple crisp cooling on the counter that my Mom had made to end our meal with that night.  It always had to be topped with a crunchy oat topping though, if the oats were missing it just wasn't the same.  One time she bought a premade one from the store and it was all white flour streusel and I remember complaining that I didn't like it and that it wasn't as crunchy.  I had sophisticated tastes as a 10 year old. 


Even now, my crisp has to have oats in the topping.  But I have also decided that it has to have large flake coconut, no matter what the fruit that went into it.  It adds a nice crunch and subtle sweetness that I would miss were it not there. This has become my standard topping.  So of course last weekend when I decided to make a crisp for myself that is what I used. 


Yes, I said for myself.  I guess I needed a bit of alone time after a week filled with lots of people and chaos...after all I am an introvert.  I needed to spend an evening enjoying some good dessert, wine and watching a chick flick with no interruptions.  So I got to work creating the delicious dessert!  I made an individual champange grape and peach crisp laced with balsamic vinegar and sweet maple.  Balsamic vingear?  Yep!  It is one of my favorite ingredients and it adds a sweet tartness that loves roasted peaches and grapes.  The maple just added that caramelly sweetness!  If you haven't had champagne grapes, then you are missing out! 


They are so sweet and delicious that every time I see them in the store when they are in season I pounce on them!  They make a wonderful dessert and were heavenly in the crisp.  The peaches and grapes baked into a jammy sweet  consistency which was complimented perfectly by the crunchy oaty coconut topping.  I served it with some ice cream (which I also HAVE to have with my crisp), and was feeling pretty relaxed watching my movie with the delicious crisp and wine! 


Maybe you need to make yourself a dessert and have some selfish alone time...I have included the recipe, but I need to add that I halved the one below so that it only made one crisp.  If you are not so selfish you can make the whole one and share of course!  Hope you all are having a wonderful week!


Maple Balsamic Champagne Grape and Peach Crisp
Serves 2 generously

Filling:
4 cups organic champagne grapes
2 cups diced ripe organic peaches
1/4 cup maple sugar or as needed depending on how sweet the grapes and peaches are
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

Topping:
6 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
3 Tbsp maple sugar
4 Tbsp cold organic butter
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup large flake coconut
Two 5 or 6 inch wide deep dish ovenproof bowls or pie plates

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the rack at the center position. Place a baking sheet lined with foil on the rack. Spray two 5 or 6 inch wide pie plates or bowls with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss together the grapes, peaches, 1/4 cup maple sugar, maple extract, vanilla, and 1/4 cup flour. Spoon into prepared bowls or pie plates, and cover with foil. Place plates on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until fruit is cooked through and bubbling. Meanwhile, to make the topping, combine the flour, sugar, butter and salt in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender, or 2 knives, cut butter into the flour until it is in pea sized chunks and clumping together. Add oats, and coconut. With hands, squeeze the mixture together forming larger chunks as well as incorporating the oats coconut and walnuts until it is evenly distributed as you go. Place in the fridge until the crisps are ready to top. When the fruit has baked for 35 minutes, and is bubbling, remove from the oven and top with the crisp mixture. Place back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown and toasted (keep a close eye on it as coconut burns very quickly). Remove from oven and let cool until warm...enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. How cool to make a crisp with those grapes! I have seen them but wasn't sure on the flavor so hadn't bought any. I will now thanks to your recipe and description of the flavor of the grapes. Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! I would have never thought to use grapes in a berry crisp! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having champagne grapes and peaches for lunch every day for a week! I swear I just smelled the aroma as I looked at the photos - the best combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds super yummy! I love the combination of maple and balsamic. I would have never thought to use grapes in a crisp. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grapes and peaches, creative combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! That's the first thing that came to my head. I have been obsessed with crisp recipes lately, and so glad I saw yours. Coconut is such an amazing addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! is right! That looks like something I could really go for right this minute. Waah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A crisp just doesn't seem right without an oatmeal topping. Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This peach crisp looks amazing, I love all the flavors!! :)

    ReplyDelete