Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sweet Cherry Ice Cream


When I saw the Door County cherries in the produce department at my work, I had to have some...needless to say, I purchased a large bag of them on my way out of work.  I was expecting them to be good, because I love fresh cherries, but they were stellar! 


While eating them unadorned, I was thinking about how much better a perfectly ripe sweet cherry is than biting into any sort of fruit candy... just imagine how much healthier we would be if we always had cherries to enjoy when we wanted a bite sized sweet! 


I began to think of all sorts of delicious things I could possibly make with them, and ice cream sounded delicious! I haven't had a good cherry ice cream since I was little, and even then, I am sure the one I had wasn't filled with cherries as good as these.  Afterall too many  commercially made cherry ice creams taste as if they have overly sweet maraschino cherries in them, which I cannot stand.  So I got to work creating my own. 


I pureed a good amount of the cherries, combined them with my vegan ice cream base and added a little almond extract, because I love the way it seems to sweeten the cherries and go so well with them.  It was a beautiful deep pink color, but even more important, it was delicious!  The essence of cherries blended into silky cool cream that melted on my tongue.  One hundred times better than any cherry ice cream I have tasted in the past!  I may just have to make a cherry crisp this weekend as well to go along with it!  Here is the recipe if you would like to try some, but make sure you use the sweetest most flavorful cherries you can find! 

Sweet Cherry Ice Cream  
Makes 6 cups

Ice Cream:
3 cups organic full fat coconut milk, chilled
2 cups fresh organic cherries, pitted
3/4 cup agave nectar
1 tsp almond extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
seeds of one vanilla bean
1/4 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and process until well blended.  Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to package directions (mine takes about an hour, and is still a little soupy like the consistency of a malt, but firms up in the freezer later). Once processed, pour into freezable container with a lid, and place in the freezer for at least a few hours, or overnight to firm up for best results.

10 comments:

  1. Delish! What a perfect summer ice cream. I need to make this soon. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this recipe! I had to quit eating ice cream a couple of years ago for health reasons and I MISS IT! Your use of coconut milk - which I LOVE - is an excellent idea, and then the cherry - can't miss there. Love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, you're killing me here. I'm gonna gain 5000 pounds just READING all this yummy stuff! :-p

    Definitely buzzed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherries are my favorite fruit! I just don't get 'em here very much. Nice to read recipes using them - hmmmm! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, yummy! Did you look like you had just murdered someone or did you use a cherry pitter? I've never invested in one because I'm not a big cherry fan, except for those sour dry cherries :-) Have a great weekend, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum....more ice cream recipes! Like you, I dislike the taste of maraschino cherries so these fresh, sweet ones must taste like heaven as ice cream. I also like how you used a coconut milk base, and can imagine how well that goes with the taste of cherries. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This ice cream sounds delicious, I've never had vegan ice cream before! I like that you use coconut milk as the base, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm....I love all the wonderful ice creams you post :) This one looks fabulous, Amy! And I had to laugh at Hester's comment~

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so amazing! Its the second Ice Cream recipe I have seen with coconut milk. I am very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfection!! Love the color, recipe and photos are very tempting!!

    ReplyDelete