Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thai Pineapple Martini



My first exposure to a piña colada was when I was eight.  Virgin of course...since liquor would have been a no no.  My Mom and I had just seen the production Cats and were going to have dinner at a Teppanyaki restaurant Downtown.  I was all excited because to me it was a special night.  I got to see singing Cats, I was all dressed up in the best dress I owned at the time, and we were about to eat Japanese food...I was in heaven!  While we were waiting for our table, my Mom decided that we should order something to drink.  I can imagine I was getting a bit antsy, not being the type of child to sit still and wait for a long time.  But instead of the usual root beer or Shirly Temple, since it was a special night she ordered me a virgin piña colada.  I felt like I was all grown up drinking a piña colada in my dressy clothes...I was in heaven!  The combination of the sweet pineapple and coconut was so good, and I remember I guzzled that thing down like no other!  After that I think every time I saw a piña colada on a menu when we would go out to a special dinner I would beg for one.  I still love the combination of pineapple and coconut.  But the funny thing is that as an adult, I have yet to order an alcoholic version of the drink!  To me it seems that far too many are made with mixes and filled with lots of sugar and ice. 


But creating my own version sounded like an attractive idea when I had an open bottle of pineapple juice and a can of coconut milk in my fridge so it was the perfect opportunity! 


Ok, so this was not traditional by any means...I swapped rum for vodka, I added some thai basil, and some ginger habanero syrup to give it a mild kick.  It was wonderful!  The perfect balance of sweet and creamy with a slight afterkick.  So much better than any sort of piña colada I could order somewhere.  That is what I love about making cocktails at home.  You can suit them to your own tastes and the possibilities are endless.  If you would like to try my cocktail, I have included the recipe.  Cheers!


Thai Pineapple Martini
Makes 1
4-6 large ice cubes
6 fresh thai basil leaves
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 oz vodka
3 oz pure pineapple juice
1/2 oz coconut milk
2 Tbsp ginger chili agave syrup*

In a martini shaker add the ice, and muddle with basil, then add vodka, pinapple, coconut milk, syrup, and place top on shaker. Shake until well blended. Pour through a strainer into a chilled martini glass, and serve!
 
*Ginger Chili Agave Syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 habanero or other hot chili cut in half
1 inch piece peeled fresh ginger
Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in agave nectar, until it is dissolved. Pour into a small jar or bottle and add chili and and ginger.  Place in the fridge and let sit a few days, then remove chili and ginger.  Store in the fridge for up to a few weeks. 

12 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my alley. I love thai flavours and I REALLY love pineapple! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the basil in this! Those little green specs are super cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This drink really caught my eye! A chile ginger agave syrup- sounds spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a colorful, creative way to cool down. There are so many great pairing possibilities too! Great garnish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This drink looks heavenly and sounds amazingly refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun twist on a pina colada! I remember being little and getting so excited to have virgin cocktails, like it was really something decadent, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm! This sounds delicious! The chili is an interesting touch. Yet another one of your recipes I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like all kind of amazing! This is going to be the official drink of the next girls day! So excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pineapple & coconut milk..perfect! Great idea for post-

    ReplyDelete